8 • the judge

| hell's hot for good reason |

A lot had happened in the past 24 hours. Beth had finally come out of her shock, but in the process, she had tried to leave this world. Bea had heard Maggie and Andrea arguing because it seemed the blonde woman's previous intentions had been placed on Beth.

Bea was glad Beth didn't die. She was too sweet for this new world, yes, but they needed her.

"Hey, Bea," Beth smiled at the younger girl who entered her room.

"Hey Beth, think you could do my hair for me again?" Bea asked hopefully. Yes, Beth had done her hair for her 2 times already that day, but what was another one gonna hurt? As long as it distracted the both of them it was something. It also meant Bea got to listen to Beth's singing at the same time, and she couldn't deny she had a beautiful voice. It was soothing. The stresses of the world seemed to melt away around Bea when her hair would soon be perfect once again.

"You're doing that thing again," Beth noticed as she finished her singing.

"What's that?" Bea wondered as she turned to the girl weaving her hair.

"Floating away in your own world," Beth replied, tying the hair band round the second plait,
"There you go."

"It's peaceful there, I like it," Bea jokes,
"And thanks, I don't know what I'd do without you. Don't let Maggie know but you do a better job than her."

Both of the girls giggled.

"Is that my Bethy up and awake?" Hershel warmly smiled as he walked into the room. Bea noticed it was the same warm smile that Maggie had when she sat with her the other night.

"Only because of Bea, Daddy," Beth's eyes lit up as she gave her father a morning hug.

Bea looked down at her lap, feeling slightly guilty at the jealousy that bubbled within at the sight of the two Greenes. Oh how she missed her father too, and it was harder he had a lot of similarities to Hershel.

"Well she certainly didn't interrupt that beauty sleep, sweetheart. You feeling better?" Hershel asked softly, placing down a glass of water with some toast next to Beth.

"I am now," Beth nodded. Bea knew it wasn't completely true, they had told each other of their worries. At least things were looking up though.

"Well good. Bea, dear, there's some food for you downstairs, thank you for making my Bethy happy again," Hershel looked at the girl with respect in his eyes, making Bea happy too that she had helped.

"Thank you, Hershel. And it's no hassle at all," Bea smiled and nodded as she left the room, heading downstairs to get some food if there was any left over.

Across the kitchen, Maggie watched as the teen grabbed some food to eat, a small smile still decorated on her face.

"What's up?" Glenn said concerned to Maggie, noticing her thoughtful face staring at Bea.

"Just, that girl, she walks around like everythin' is peachy, but I've seen her some nights and she terrified, Glenn. I don't get how she does it..."

Glenn put a hand on Maggie's shoulder to comfort her.
"There must be a reason, she's just, maybe trying to survive, hell she's part of our group but she doesn't really know us too well," he reasoned.

"She doesn't want to look weak," Maggie nodded in realisation.

"You've seen her like that though, I think it means she trusts you, gotta take it as a good sign," Glenn confirmed to Maggie, reassuring her that she was doing all she can. Just being there for the girl was something.