Chapter Four: Breakfast & Memories

We, collectively myself and two kids, get to the diner and I'm already exhausted from Francine's never ending chatter

We, collectively myself and two kids, get to the diner and I'm already exhausted from Francine's never ending chatter. I was blessed with my little bud, he was contemplative and thoughtful most of the time; only really causing a commotion when he was upset.

But this girl was nonstop, even I had to slow her down a bit, she looked at me with sad eyes, "Uncle..." then the waterworks as I scooped her up, "It's alright princess. I am trying to just get you to let Daniel and I catch up. Mommy must be so fast."

"She is. Do you think Daddy and her are fighting?" Her eyes meet mine and I give her my best smirk, "let's hope for daddy's sake they aren't."

She giggled and snuggled into me, Daniel watched and pulled on my hand, "good job daddy."

I winked and a waitress came over and looked at me, "party of three?"

"Yes please. A window booth if free... lots of napkins." I smiled and her cheeks blushed over.

Oh no. She then slid her hand on my arm as I let Francine down, gave us extra crayons and was overly friendly while taking my order, I sat on the outside letting Daniel and Francine squish together, so there was a lean and some breast lifting.

I know I should find it flattering, but I just didn't want to be Billy Hargrove man slut. I needed to be a father and this was not the behavior I was looking to entice.

Also... the thought of another woman. It didn't sit well. It made an impossible dull sensation deep in my chest, though I was lonely, the ache of that touch not being my Heather's fingers. Nope. Not happening.

"Must be nice to have such a good looking dad?" She asked Daniel. Who looked at me and laughed. I smiled again. I was polite as I leaned away from her, she seemed to get the idea. I let the kids have whatever they wanted, toast and coffee for me. I stole a few bites of pancakes from Daniel, well he knew, but the fork dueling was definitely for show. Francine threatened to bite me if I went near hers.

I wondered if I could do this once a week, it was nice to have the kids out and about. For a moment I didn't remember that she wasn't there. I needed to start going to that class Maxine recommended. I knew about grief from my job.

Grief. It was a strange word, I think having Daniel here is helping, knowing I'm not alone, that there is someone that loved her just as much as myself.

Would the people at these meetings truly understand my pain. Does it go away?

"There must be a mistake?" I hear a voice and look up from my coffee in time to see Eliana and her little guy standing near the register, she looked confused, "that's twice what the menu said."

I raised an eyebrow as the waitress who had asked for my number and then made the hint that I was a hot dad in front of the kids was arguing with her, "well you got a coffee refill and your son asked for extra bacon."