9. Nothing's Gonna Hurt You Baby

Natasha takes a sip of her drink as she eyes you suspiciously. You continue to read the menu even though you already know what you want. Mainly just to avoid her.

"Okay, spill. What's bothering you?" She asks and you looks up at her and do your best to look confused.

"What are you talking about?" You ask and she rolls her eyes.

"Last night you were all, Bucky this Bucky that," she says in a high pitched voice to mock you and you roll your eyes with a small laugh. "But now, you're stone cold silent. What, did he steal your voice or something?"

You sigh as you scratch your neck and her eyes widen. "Oh your anxious," she says with a smile, but it quickly fades. "What the fuck did he do? I'll beat his ass I swear." She starts to stand up, but you stop her.

"No he didn't do anything. It's just that this morning it was kind of weird," you say and she immediately sits back down.

"Weird how?" She asks.

"I told him we were having lunch and he told me to cancel," you say and Natasha raises an eyebrow at you.

"Ex-fucking-scuse me? Who does he think he is? I'm your best friend." She crosses her arms across her chest.

You nod your head as you run your hand over the silky, beige napkin on the table. The ice in your water clinks together when Natasha places her hands on the table with an amount of force not strong enough to attract attention, but enough to move the table a smidge.

The waiter comes by and takes your orders with a kind smile before leaving.

"Obviously I told him I could never cancel on you and that you're my best friend. He said he understood, but I think he was mad at me for a few minutes before he went back to being loving," you shrug.

"You know what that sounds like to me? A red flag," she states and you sigh as you shake your head.

"No don't do this. Please," you beg and Nat shrugs her shoulders as she takes a sip of her drink.

"I don't want to, but y/n, I don't want you to get in a toxic relationship," she says and you shake your head.

"It won't be toxic. Bucky's not toxic. And he likes me Nattie. He actually likes me, and I like him. For the first time since my breakup with Thor, I feel okay again. I feel like him and I could actually be something. I feel like I actually want to be with him," you defend.

"Y/n, you shouldn't settle for the first guy that looks your way and gives you attention. Know your worth instead of acting like no one likes you. God if you weren't so fucking oblivious and scared to be out by yourself maybe you wouldn't be willing to give yourself to first guy that calls you pretty," she says and your expression drops as you look down at the table.

Natasha's eyes widen in regret as she opens her mouth to apologize, but she's interrupted as the waiter comes over with your food. He walks away once the food is on the table and your both filled with silence again.

"Y/n I—"

"Don't. I may be inexperienced and closed off, but at least I'm not constantly getting into relationships and then breaking up with them for someone else. How many times have you done that?" You ask as you start to count on your fingers.

"That's not fair," Natasha says with a cold stare.

"Don't dish it if you can't take it Natasha." Her full name leaves your lips with a tang of bitterness to it causing her to flinch slightly.

"I'm just trying to look out for you. That's all I ever do," she says. "Ever since Pietro's death all I've done is look after you."

"Don't fucking talk about Pietro," you snap and she rolls her eyes.

"God, you and fucking Wanda just need to grow up about that. Yea, I was upset when he died, but hey, I got over it," she says and there's no regret on her features. Just anger.

"'I got over it' why don't you just go fuck yourself Natasha. Oh wait, you could probably find someone to do it for you," you mock as you place a few dollar bills on the table that'll cover your cost of the bill. You grab half of the sandwich on your plate and stand up to leave the restaurant.

"Yea, run away bitch. That's what you do best," you hear her yell as you're walking out.

"I know," you responds as you open the door and leave the restaurant.

You met up with Bucky and immediately fell into his arms. He holds you tightly as you cling to him, desperately chasing his comfort. "Is everything okay?" He asks and you shake your head.

"Natasha and I just got in a big fight," you whisper and he rubs your back softly.

"I'm sorry. Can I ask about what?" He asks and you pull back slightly to look at him.

"She tried telling me that you're toxic and then I got mad and she brought up Pietro and I basically called her a whore. Then I left," you say and Bucky kisses your forehead.

"I'm sure the two of you will make up." He smiles at you to try and bring you some comfort.

"I just don't like fighting with anyone. Especially with her. She's practically my sister and I don't know what I would do without her, but I'm just so pissed off at her right now. All I wanted to do was slap the shit out of her." You grind your teeth together and Bucky softly laughs.

"I don't think fighting Natasha would be a good idea," he says and you shake your head.

"No, she would kick my ass," you say with a laugh and Bucky kisses your forehead. "I'm not very good at protecting myself. She always protects me."

"Don't worry doll. I'll always protect you. Nothing with ever hurt you. I'll always be here for you." He leans in towards you and softly kisses you. You smile into the kiss and feel happy with him. Protected.

Nothings gonna hurt you baby, as long as you're with me you'll be just fine.