Ch. 22

Ch. 22

"So, do you really think Kaiden knows anything?" Caleb asked in a hushed whisper.

There was silence for a minute. "I mean, he might know something. Who knows?" Tony replied back.

"Yeah, well, that dude really creeps me out anyway so I wouldn't put it past him to know something. And to try and use that against her? What kind of shit is that? He better not ask her for a second try, especially if he's going to pull this stunt on her. What's he going to do, use it as leverage to get her to do anything he wants?"

There was some banging around before Tony replied back to Caleb. "I sure as hell hope not. He'll have another thing coming if he tries."

"Yeah, you bet your ass he does. He hurts her then he has to deal with us. That's not in his favor considering we know others, and she has the whole football team to back her up. We've all got her back. That's another reason why I don't want to leave her alone, though. I know she's tuff enough to handle it on her own, but I just can't help but want to be here to help protect her."

"Yeah, well, we all know the real reason why you want to be here." Tony said back to him. I could only imagine the look Caleb was getting right now. I smirked, but didn't move from my spot on the couch where they thought that I was still asleep.

"Shut up, man." I heard a slap and knew Caleb back handed Tony on the shoulder.

Tony started laughing. "I don't know why you try to deny it. The whole team knows you've had your eye on her since the day she tried out. It's not like it's gone unnoticed. Well, except for Izzy. I don't think she knows."

"Whatever, man. It's not like it matters anyway. You know she thinks of us as brothers and that would just make things weird between us if anything were to happen, and I don't want to lose her as a friend, or a quarterback on the football team. You know as well as anyone else that we need her and I'm not about to ruin that because of my own wants."

Okay, I think this is the time I should pretend to wake up. I shouldn't be listening in on this part. But that did just tell me that Kaiden has been right this whole entire time and that I've been completely blind to it. I mean, Caleb was hot, but he could do so much better than me, and he deserves that. I made sure to stretch as loud as I could and then make an obvious yawn. I heard the guys' conversation come to a silent end and then I heard footsteps coming into the living room. "Well, good evening, sleepyhead."

"How long was I asleep for?" I asked Caleb, wiping my eyes for dramatics, hoping he wouldn't know that I've been awake for their whole conversation.

He shrugged and looked at his phone. "I few hours, I guess."

"Damn. Sorry about that." I shook my head and got up. "Mmm...what's that delicious smell?"

"Don't be sorry. You needed the rest." He smirked at me and then avoided my gaze. Oh please don't start this, Caleb. I need you now more than ever. "Tony and I figured we'd whip up some dinner and save you the time and energy of having to do it."

"Well, thank you guys." We had walked into the kitchen by now.

"It's not a problem." Tony waved the wooden spoon at me. "We make a pretty decent team, if I do say so myself. Not that bozo over here did much, but I guess he did get me the utensils I needed."

Caleb rolled his eyes and Tony burst out into laughter. I couldn't help but smirk myself, considering I knew how he was when it came to cooking, and he wasn't always the greatest. He may know how to throw something in the microwave, but that's about it. "Yeah, yeah. You guys watch... one day I am going to be a WONDERFUL cook and you guys will be totally jealous and will be over at my place all the time begging for me to cook."