Love Like Ghosts - Prologue

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
June, 1942

Music boomed, accompanied by chatter, through the hallways of the Lambert residence. Madame Lambert pursed her red lips when the couple across from her made a joke. The drink glass in her hand swirled before she brought it up to her mouth for another sip.

"You should meet my dear daughter, Josephine." Madame Lambert beamed, bouncing her curls with her left hand. "Over here dearie!" She urged Josephine to join her.

Josephine stood next to her brother as they watched the crowded room converse.

"Jo, je pense que maman veut que tu viennes la voir." (I think that mom wants you to go over there) Her brother, Henri, stifled a laugh.

"Ah zut." (Ah, dang.) Josephine cursed under her breath. "I'll be back." She made her way to where her mother stood.

"Oh wow!" A man next to her mother exclaimed. "She's so grown up now! You've raised such a beautiful woman, Claire."

"She just turned eighteen. We've decided on going to Harvard in the fall." Madame Lambert squeezed Jo's shoulders proudly. Jo was uncomfortable - whether it was from the fact that she wasn't a party person, or the fact that she wasn't going to Harvard. After a heated discussion with ber mother, Jo enlisted in the Nurse Corps to help the effort in the war.

"That's an amazing accomplishment, my dear." An older woman gasped, pulling Jo out of her thoughts. "Let me know if you would like an early tour, my brother went there."

"Thank you." Josephine chuckled uneasily, then turned to her mother. "Maman," She leaned in with a hushed voice, "I need to talk to you."

Madame Lambert looked up at her daughter with confusion and trepidation. Her smile crept its way back to her face as she turned to her guests. "Excuse-moi." She guided Josephine out of the room and they went upstairs to avoid any other party guests.

"What is it, Josephine?" Her mother quipped, trying to compose her self and discard her growing anger.

"I-" Jo began, looking down at her feet. "I turned down Harvard."

Her mother's face distorted upon hearing those words. Jo swore she saw a flash of searing fury exude from her glare.

"What do you mean you turned Harvard down?" Madame Lambert asked lowly.

"I'm not going to Harvard, maman." Jo repeated. "I've enlisted in the nurse corps, instead."

"No, we talked about this, Josephine." Her mother shook her head. "There was supposed to be no more talk about his nursing thing." 

"No, maman." Jo stood her ground. "I'm doing this."

"No. I will not accept that. All of the other women in our family got a proper education, you will too." Her mother whisper shouted at her. Jo knew that proper meant privileged, because of their wealth. "Just because your father ran off to Africa for the war doesn't mean you will too. You are a woman, Josephine. You know your place."

Jo crossed her arms and breathed in deeply. It had been three years since Henri, Jo, and their mother saw their father. His letters each month had served as a symbol of hope to Henri and Jo. Their mother, however, resented their father after he left. It was no secret that their family had become quite a shock to their 'society'. It was unheard of that a respected high class male would leave his family to enlist in the military. But Jean Lambert was no regular man. Henri and Jo adored him for that. So, Jo felt a calling to her to enlist in the nurse corps, she felt - like her father - that she could make a difference.

"I do know my place, maman." Jo straightened her skirt. "I understand your hatred towards the U.S. military, especially after papa, but I will serve our country. That is my place."

"You're bringing shame upon our family." Her mother seethed.

Jo looked warily at her mother. She would be leaving soon, and she would hate to leave on bad terms. She loved her mother, but it wasn't fair.

"I'm leaving next Tuesday." Jo spoke quietly.

"You're leaving?" Henri asked, coming up the stairs. He heard most of the conversation - his heart felt heavy in his chest.

"Yes." Was all Jo said before she went to her room and sunk onto her bed. Her breathing felt constricted and she felt sick from the thought of leaving home. But, her heart knew that she must take that path. Josephine thought about her mother's words 'you are bringing shame upon our family'.

No. She was going to bring honor.

-