Chapter 1: Georgia to Fontana Dam

Chapter 1: Georgia

March 2023

Georgia in March is Cold. Everyone knows that. It was one of the only good times a year a teacher like me could go. One of the times, we wanted to go hiking in Georgia. Fall or Spring but not winter when snow is everywhere and frequently unsafe. Not summer, when bugs run rampant through the woods. You have to worry more about the mosquitos and other mean bugs that bite. I am not a fan of mosquitos. My childhood was filled with me using bug spray and hiding from mosquitos.

Saturday

I took a half day from work to drive down to Georgia and spend the night so we wouldn't have to do all the driving early in the morning so I could make good time starting the trail. We spent the night at a hotel in Georgia, only about an hour from my destination. I woke up early and got Waffle House. I took a snapshot of my travel companion toy, Bingo, which I got from my friend. They couldn't go with me, so they got me a toy Bingo wearing a backpack to take with me. Once we finished breakfast, we headed towards the forest service road that would take us up to the top of Springer Mountain. It was kind of scary going up the forest service road, and luckily, no cars were going down the mountain as we went up.

When we reached the top, another car had parked across the parking lot. An elderly pair came out with another female. She looked like she was also starting her AT adventure today. I wondered if I would meet her along the trail. I got my picture at the sign for Springer Mountain and gave Preston a big hug. I wouldn't see him for two weeks and wouldn't know when I would get to talk to him again. I was so excited to start, though, and he supported me. He did drive me out here from our cozy home in Raleigh.

I walked up to the start of the trail, turned around, and waved goodbye to Preston one last time. I took a few steps, and happy tears started to fall. I was here. I was finally beginning Georgia. I had already done a few sections of the Appalachian Trail, but this would be my first time alone. I was starting alone, at least.

By the time I started, it was a little after 8:30 a.m. I walked down some extraordinary steps on the path and had a few minor river crossings that could be passed by stepping on big rocks. I would later learn that Georgia in March is wetter than what I am used to in the mountains, which means I would carry less water. As I was walking, I found some ice on the ground. "Perfect!" I thought to myself. I pulled Bingo out of my pocket and snapped a photo of her sitting on the ice. My friend would love it.

By 9, I had crossed several bridges, made it almost 2 miles, and arrived at the first shelter. Being nosey, I walked over to take a look. There were about four people at the shelter. So far, I have passed four people going in the opposite direction of me. Scratch that: I have passed a total of 10 people going in the opposite direction of me. Some with backpacks and some with day bags. I would like to know if the ones with the big backpacks were Southbound (SoBo) hikers. I also heard some thunderous noises, and I couldn't tell if that was a giant gust of wind or large trees falling in the distance. It is 9:50, and I just crossed Three Forks Gap at mile 4.4. and many people were standing beside their cars, getting ready to head out, so I hurried to the waterfall.

When I arrived at the waterfall, I took off my jacket that I had been wearing because I wasn't bold enough to start that cold. After removing a few layers, I pulled a snack out of my backpack and enjoyed the view. There weren't many people there yet, so it was quiet and peaceful. I snapped a few photos and headed on my way. I must be near a hunting ground now as the sounds from earlier are louder and more evident—big bangs.

When I got to Hickory Flats, I saw a sign that said "Shed + Cemetery." I looked at the cemetery briefly but didn't head toward the shed. I went a few feet further and came across trail magic. My first trail magic in Georgia. For those who don't know, trail magic is when people (called trail angels) bring food, supplies, water, or other items for hikers. There were two large tables, one with a grill and patties and the other full of snacks. There was also a friendly fire going and chairs around the fire to sit in. I warmed up nicely as I downed my Gatorade in their cooler and devoured a burger, beans, and a brownie. I sat there for a while and talked with the friendly people who had hosted the trail magic and three hikers who had joined us. I learned that the loud noise I heard was soldiers practicing shooting at their shooting range in the distance.