➥; II - STARDOM IS BORN, BABY! (1997) -

"Leon."

"Leon, get the fuck out of bed."

"LEON!"

    LEON snaps awake quickly to see his mother hovering over his bed, his stepdad behind her. She quickly smiles at the boy as he sits up. "Mom, what the fuck?—"

"Happy birthday!" Emily says as she hands him a present. "I can't believe my baby boy is an adult already. I remember when you were young, begging me to play with you and your toys. Look at you now!"

Leon takes the present and opens it carefully. "Oh, wow. Um, thanks, Mom," He mumbles. It was a pearl necklace. He wasn't complaining about it though, but ever since Leon had his gay awakening and came out to his mother, she'd been giving him very feminine objects. He didn't reject it though, and actually put it on quickly.

"Oh, honey, it's gorgeous," Emily says as she puts her hand over her heart. "Don't you think so, Dave?"

"Mm," His stepdad, Dave, hums. Leon wasn't really close with the man, but he appreciated the fact that he treated his mother like a human being and not just some chew toy. 

Emily claps her hands together. "Oh! I have another surprise for you," She says with a wide smile.

"Okay, what is it?" Leon says as he looks at his mom confusedly.

Emily looks at Dave with a certain look before she looks back at her son. "We got you a music manager! Isn't that lovely?" She says.

Leon looks at her with wide eyes. "You got me a music manager?!" He says. "I don't even know how to write lyrics! I don't have any of the support I need!—"

"Look, Todd King is an old friend," Dave says. "Best music man around. He says he'll get you set up quickly. Actually, he wants you to come in today."

"Today?!" Leon says. "Fuck, what time?"

Dave looks at his watch. "I think about 30 minutes from now?"

Leon's eyes get wider. "Shit, I have to get ready!" He says. He quickly gets out of bed before walking up to his parents and giving them both kisses on the cheek. "Thanks guys, love you!" He says as he runs out of the room. He quickly runs into the bathroom and shuts the door before quickly changing and turning on the shower.

He couldn't tell if Emily was trying to encourage him into his hobby, the one thing he loved, or if she wanted him out of the house. Either way, he was pretty excited (and super nervous) to say the least. 

Before he knows it, he's out of the shower and is walking down the street quickly as he heads for the place where Todd was. He was hoping he was going the right way since he barely remembers what Dave told him, but as soon as he walks upon it he knows it's the right place.

He stops and stares for a moment, wondering if his life would change as soon as he stepped through this door. He hoped it did, he hoped it would make his life better, he hoped it would show people he could have a talent.

He opens the door and is greeted by a tiny lobby with a lady at a front desk. He awkwardly walks over to where she sat, typing loudly on her computer. "Um, hi," Leon says awkwardly.

The lady looks up from the computer and pushes her glasses up. She didn't look older than Leon. "Hi, name?" She asks.

"Uh, Leon Collins?" Leon says quietly. "I'm here for Todd King?"

The lady grabs a stack of nearby papers as she nods. "Mr. King is waiting for you already," She says as she files them. "Straight down the hall, take a left."

"Thanks," Leon says. He follows her exact instructions. Straight down, then left. It led to an office with a closed door and a name plate which read "TODD Q. KING". Leon knocks on the door, hearing a loud "come in!" before opening the door.

There were three men in the room. Two sat in front of the desk, and one sat behind. Leon assumed it was Todd. "Hi, I hope I'm not interrupting Mr. King," Leon says.

"Who are you?" Todd says. Leon didn't realize he had a cigarette in his hand.

Leon clears his throat. "Leon Collins," He says. 

Todd nods his head. "Dave's stepson. Come in," He says. 

Leon slowly shuts the door and takes a seat between the other two guys in the room. "Well? Introduce yourselves you fucking idiots," Todd says as he inhales from his cigarette.

The guy on Leon's left clears his throat. "Hi, I'm Charlie," He says as he holds out his hand, which Leon shakes.

The man on the right does a small wave. "Hello," He says. Leon wasn't expecting him to have a British accent. "I'm Jesse, King's assistant."

"Nice to meet you both," Leon says.

"So," Todd says as he puts out his cigarette. "Dave tells me you got talent. So?" He says as he signals towards the piano. 

Leon nods and quickly takes a seat at the piano, scooting closer towards the beautiful instrument. "Uh, anything you want me to play in particular? I don't really have any songs written—"

"Elton John," Todd interrupts. "Your pick." 

Leon breathes a sigh of relief as he turns back towards the piano. He straightens his posture and begins playing his favorite song.  He hadn't really sung and done piano at the same time, so it'd be an experience. 

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should've stayed on the farm,
I should've listened to my old man,"

He takes a deep breath before continuing,

"You know you can't hold me forever,
I didn't sign up with you,"

Another deep breath.

"I'm not a present for your friends to open,
This boy's too young to be singing the blues,"

Leon drags it out a little too early, but nothing anyone would notice.

"So goodbye yellow brick road,
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse,
I'm going back to my plow,"

Leon slowly but surely ends the song after those lyrics, not wanting to sit here while Charlie and Jesse stare at him all wide-eyed. It freaked him out. "Sorry, it was probably really rough. I've never really done that at the same time and—"

"You sounded like a natural."

Leon's eyes go wide as he covers it up with a loud cough. "Um, sorry?" 

"No, yeah, that…that sounded really good, man," Charlie says. 

Leon bites back a smile. "Thanks."

Todd sniffs loudly. "I think it could work," He says. "We just have to get you some songs. Lucky for you, Charles here is a natural at writing."

"So just like that I'm—?" Leon cuts himself off, not wanting to jump the gun. 

"Well don't be a cunt about it now," Todd says as he puts out his cigarette. "But, yes, you're in."

Leon smiles widely as he stands up. "Thank you so much! I—" 

"You need a stage name."

Leon looks at Todd confusedly. "Pardon?"

"Stage name?" Todd says. "What are you, a fucking idiot?" 

Leon clears his throat. "Well I assumed my actual name would be alright."

Todd shakes his head. "Your actual name is boring," He says. "Plus, Phil Collins already exists. Sharing the same last name would be a no-go."

"Uh, can I have time to think about it?" Leon asks the man, hoping he says yes.

Todd sighs loudly. "You have 24 hours. If you don't bring me a stage name by then, you won't have a shot at shit," He says. "Now, get out of my office."