Chapter two: what would I do?

✧︎

✧︎

"I'm here!! I'm her..." I rush into the office to find an angry-faced mom. Her angry glance then goes down and I follow her gaze. I look down at my clothes and notice I forgot to change into my uniform. Before I walked into the room I tried my best to put my hair up away and out of my face but it fell as soon as I stopped in my tracks at the door.

My mother's eyes dart to the open seat next to her and back to me. She was telling me to sit down. I don't give it a second thought, because I'm sitting down already fixing my posture. I fixed Miles's jacket on my arms, the hood in the back was going wild.

Without turning to me my mother sits up straight and looks dead ahead, "So where were you?" She's quick to ask. She can't look me in the eyes. I fucked up.

My body tenses at her question, the question I was hoping she wouldn't ask me. Of course, she had to. She could never mind her business. After fifteen years of proving myself worthy, it has all gone out the window because of one absence.

I've been mentally preparing for this question since I read her text message and after listening to a few of her voicemails. I feel my body quake with anxiety, it didn't matter how much preparation I did I was still nervous.

And I knew no matter what the answer was the one I was about to give her wouldn't be good enough.

"I uh, was with Miles..." I give her the answer slowly, giving her time to digest my words. She would have rather me say anything else but Miles. I watched as she closed her eyes and forced out a frustrated breath. Ever since we started dating she's been on my ass more than usual.

She says it's because she wants me to be successful but that doesn't mean I have to sacrifice my happiness, right? I should be able to be in love with a boy and get into a great school.

Right?

She clicks her tongue in annoyance and I flinch in my seat, at least she didn't make a scene. This is the third time this week I've forgotten about my responsibilities and hung out with Miles.

She's gonna kill me.

The principal stares at us from her seat tired and annoyed. She slowly blinks as her eyes shift from me to my mother. I could tell my mother did a number on her. "Now that Y/n is here let's finish." She opened a folder that was under her crossed arms. Licking her fingers she separates the pages and pulls out the last one.

She sets the sheet down for us to see and pushes it forward.

"As you can see your daughter's average is a three-point seven for the year, but," She holds up her index finger as she pulls out another sheet from the thin vanilla folder. I smile in delight once I register her words. My smile then drops when I hear the principal say but.