02. Burns under the cover

┏━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━┓

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ
𝐁𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐒 𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑

┗━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━┛

OF COURSE, Tony had foreseen what Meredith would do, so he outsmarted her and left his floor empty, without a living soul to whom the woman could hand the patent to.

Frustrated sigh escaped Meredith's lips, as she indignantly glanced around Tony's office. Even JARVIS wasn't answering her calls, and honestly she couldn't tell if this was some kind of billionaire's practical joke. Messing with her wouldn't bring him much.

Her free hand instinctively traveled into her hair to rake through front pieces, but it immediatly froze at the realization, she would only mess up her perfectly blown-out hair. She often did that unconsciously, whether she was irritated or anxious.

If Tony wanted to play games, she will join him. But be careful what you wish for in the first place.

Meredith nonchalantly thrown the sealed envelope on Stark's desk. The clatter of expensive high heels echoed, as she strode right to the elevator, only to find herself on the highest floor of the Avengers Tower.

She wandered around, passing through the drunk and less-drunk people, but the billionaire was nowhere to be seen. What kind of party even was that? A lot of groups had formed, and each had been occupied with something else. What was even the occasion, she kept wondering.

As she was stepping down the stairs, she recognized Natasha Romanoff behind the bar. Since the two knew each other and Meredith wasn't in the mood for a small talk, she didn't want to look like a jerk and just pass right by, she waved from the distance, when their gazes locked. The redhead's lips were forming some words. Oh, crap!

"Look who decided to show up! The lights didn't bother you when you escaped your apartment?" playful smile made an appearance on Natasha's beautiful face, while she was pouring a beer into the glass. She didn't made the slightest foam, even though her eyes weren't focused on it for a second. Instead she stared at the brunette standing in front of her in a beige coat.

"Only the daylight lits my skin on fire," Meredith joked, but said it with such seriousness, both in her voice and face, that the man sitting on the stool looked up at her with terror screaming from his eyes. "Oh, don't worry, I was only joking. I'm not really a vampire or something. I just don't like leaving my apartment," she rushed with an explanation, gesturing for him to calm down.

Her hand found it's place way too close to him, he slightly backed out. It wouldn't really surprise him anymore, if he'd found out, that vampires were real. The world they were leaving in was so messed up, that aliens crawling down from the sky were a severdighet in New York.

Natasha chuckled at the two's interaction. "Speaking of the devil, Tony's at the platform, waiting for you."

"Ah, so you're the lawyer," clasped the man with curls.

"Nice to met you too, dr Banner," Meredith winked at him, surprising him with playfulness. Then she gave Natasha one last look. "See you later."

Fine breeze made her coat and hair float slightly, as she stepped outside on the stone floor. The lights were turned off there, and the only lightning illuminated from the inside and other skyscrapers visible in the night skyline.

The heated conversation stopped, as soon as the three muscular figures realized they were not alone anymore.

The shortest of them all didn't even have to glance Meredith's way. Her arrival was always preceded by both the clatter of high heels and sandal wood mixed with black orchid scent. "Here comes miss Grouchy, destroyer of fun, vanquisher of children's smiles."