「05」Food

The sound of shuffling startle me awake and I gently hit the bed twice. Keeping my eyes shut, I just listen. Nothing happens. I open my eyes and realize I'm still in the hospital. I look over my shoulder to see if Tan is still there.

"Good morning."

Sitting up, my ribs and shoulder blade protest with pain. I hold my breath and fully sit up.

"Are you ok?"

Grabbing my IV pole, I stand up. My vision goes black and my balance falters. I grab the bed rail and focus on staying standing. My vision starts coming back and a hand touches my arm. I smack it. My vision fully returns and I look at Tan. He looks back at me concerned.

Breaking eye contact and I walk over to the window. He walks up behind me and stares out the window with me. I glance at the watch on his wrist but can't tell the time because it's not facing me. There are no other clocks in the room, so I have no idea what time it is.

It's been bugging me not knowing what time it is. I start brainstorming ideas of what I could do because I don't want to talk. I don't remember what my voice sounds like. Do I even remember how to talk? I take a deep breath and poke his arm.

He looks at me surprised. Then he smiles.

"Do you need something?"

I point at his wrist and he looks down at it.

"You want the time?"

I give him a small smile and he shows me his wrist.

8:44

I smile at him and look back out the window. There are fewer people out today compared to yesterday.

"I'll be back in a few minutes."

He smiles at me and then walks out of the room. I look back out the window. People watching is weird. The people down below don't realize that I'm watching them go about their business. I don't remember a time when I noticed someone just people watching and not being creepy about it. Do I seem creepy when I people watch?

What's the difference between people watching and watching people?

I don't want to get sucked down this rabbit hole. It seems too complicated. I turn around and walk to the doorway. I'm probably supposed to stay put, but I don't want to.

I want to walk. Poking my head out of the doorway. I don't see anyone that I recognize. Looking down at my feet, I realize I'm still barefoot. Do hospitals have shoes? I know they have socks.

Where are the socks? I look around in the cupboards but don't find any.

"What are you looking for?"

I jump as Tan walks back into the room.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

He's very quiet on his feet.

"Want some jello?"

He offers me a cup and I walk over and take it. It's orange again.

"Shoot, I forgot the spoons. I'll be right back."

He walks out the door. I continue my hunt for socks and finish looking, without any luck, before he gets back.

A sharp pain stabs the side of my rib and I flinch.

"Whoa, you good?"

I sit down on the side of the bed and put my hand over the side of my ribs. He walks towards me and my body tenses up.

"I'll stay right here, but I need to know if you need the doctor to come in?"

I barely shake my head. If he hadn't been looking for it, he would have missed it.