02. The Birth

POV Abigail Griffin

 I watched as the lights along the hallway flicker and begin to blur as the searing pain shoots through my abdomen. Nothing could have prepared me for the pain I would be feeling as my cervix dilates before I can even reach the medial station. It is all my fault, as I could have immediately gotten my husband to take me, but I just couldn't.

I have been hiding a major secret from him that could get all of us killed. Jake has always been a man of his word, one who die if his loved one was in danger. I couldn't possibly tell him as he would be more than ready to sacrifice himself in place of our baby. The truth was I was minutes away from breaking the law, because of these melon sized babies that are ripping me apart at this very moment. You heard me, I said babies, these two twin girls don't even realize their life will never be together. 

Painful thoughts of what was to come, the excruciating pain I felt throughout my body, and on top of all of that I was all alone. The moment that me and Jake had been talking about since we got pregnant, now that moment will never come. I know this guilt will never go away, but that will have to be my new reality if I ever want to protect the people I love. 

After hours of agonizing childbirth, the pain was too much, and I felt faint as the world around me blurred once more. 

____________________________________________________________________________

When I awoke, I was blinded by the bright hospital lights. Rubbing my eyes, I attempt to sit up but feel sharp pains erupt through my whole body. Squinting I begin searching the room for my babies. In the corner I see two glass containers holding both of my babies and next to them is my best friend, Jackson. His face lights up as soon as he sees I'm awake. 

"Abby, thank god your alive!" Jackson ran up to the side of my bed with a level of worry I have never seen on his face. Out of all of the stressful situations we were put through together as doctors performing lifesaving surgeries. "Why wouldn't I be?" I try to smile at him, but it feels weak. "That was nothing," I attempt to joke, but his worried expression never fazes. 

"I'm serious bitch, I've never seen that much blood before!" I feel the gross amount of spit leave his mouth as he shouts but my arm is far too weak to get it off. Instead, I just sit there trying to force the biggest frown that I can in this situation. "I am so sorry," he begins to quickly try and wipe my face with a rag, but we both can't help to break out into laughter. 

I hadn't even realized that Jackson had been there the whole time during the childbirth. Warmth immediately filled my body, and I didn't feel as alone as me and my best friend sat there laughing. 

"On a more serious note, you really have to name and meet your daughters so we can move to the next part of the plan." Reality suddenly struck me as I remembered that I would have to say goodbye to one of my precious daughters. I nodded softly, and Jackson immediately went to fetch one of my two daughters. The only solace I took was knowing my twins were going to be born fraternal. They wouldn't be able to recognize each other, and as long as I keep them separated, they should be safe. 

Jackson begins to approach me with the sweetest little angel in the world. "She popped out first, so technically she's your oldest." Jackson tries to joke as I just burst into tears at the first touch of her soft skin. I have never seen anything this beautiful in my life. I can't even imagine how I would react to holding both of them in my arms. My other daughter is probably just as angelic as her sister. A little tuff of strawberry blonde hair sits a top of her head, and as her eyes begin to open two blue swirls of stormy shining pools meet my own. 

"My sweet Augustine, I-I will love you forever." I strutter out through my tears as I hold my sweet baby close to me. She smells so clean, yet her existence alone would be seen as dirty. Yelling is heard from down the hall, and I immediately recognize it to be my husband. I look at Jackson panicked, and he just nods while taking my baby from my arms.