13. photos.

Dazai knew something was wrong when water began to seep through the gap of the bathroom door, wetting the floorboards and advancing towards him. He stretches his body like a cat would do in a sunbeam, knees cracking and letting a groan escape his throat.

He approaches the bathroom door where he can hear the water hitting the floor, sharply splashing and slithering out into the living room. He knocks on the door with his knuckles.

"(first name)?"

He receives no reply.

"I'm coming in." He clicks open the door—it was unlocked, and the first thing he sees is you curled up in the bathtub, head tucked into your knees with the water splashing around you. He steps towards you and twists the faucet. The water comes to a halt.

Dazai crouches down to your level.

"Hey," He says, putting a hand on the rim of the bathtub. A memory emerges in his head like a corpse floating to the surface of a green, algae infested swamp. A smile curves his lips, filled with reminiscent sadness. "Remember when we all went to Mcdonalds?"

You lift your head.

You're immediately hit with a french fry. You flinch, before breaking out into laughter.

"Dazai!" You scold him, to which he sticks his tongue out at you.

Today is June 19th, Dazai's birthday. There are some people in this world who prefer to ignore their birthday, and condemn it as the day of damnation—Dazai was one of those people. So you and Odasaku had decided to drag him out to Mcdonalds for a simple celebration.

"I didn't wanna come here!" Dazai whines, placing his head on the table. You push his tray towards him regardless.

"Too bad. Eat up, birthday boy. We got you a Teriyaki chicken burger."

He grumbles something underneath his breath as he unwraps the burger, taking a big bite of it. You and your boyfriend are sitting opposite of him, biting into french fries and watching your friend intently take another chomp of his food.

"How does it taste?" You prop your head up against your palm. Dazai grumbles.

"Not bad," He admits. You pick a fry with your finger and toss it at his head, for revenge. He glares at you with playful intentions. "Rude."

"You started it, birthday boy."

"Stop calling me that."

"But it's true."

"Will you both stop arguing?" Odasaku chimes in, taking a sip of his coke. You burst into a peal of laughter at his deadpan expression, an expression that even Dazai has to conceal his laughter by hiding behind his burger.

The Mcdonalds is empty; it's half past 3AM in the morning, and the only people remaining are the waitresses and a homeless man sleeping on one of the couches of the restaurant. You stand up and stretch, lifting your arms above your head while chewing on a fry.

"Mcdoanlds is the best, man," You say, before reaching out towards Odasaku. "Mind if I take a sip?"

"No." He hands you his drink. Dazai points at you.

"You guys just did an indirect kiss. Gross."

"Don't be so childish," You sit back down. "We've done worse—"

"That's enough of you," Odasaku cuts you off. You giggle when Dazai rolls his eyes at you, before finishing off the rest of his food. "Where do you want to go after this?"

"Home."

"Back to the shipping container? No way in hell we're gonna end your birthday that quickly," You say. "Let's go to a photo booth. To commemorate this day."