Chapter Eight

"Lady Raiyus, it's time to wake up."

I blink my eyes open, at least 10 maids fill my room and surround my bed.

"What. . .?" I say, groggily.

"Please, Lady Raiyus, we need to help you get ready for the Crown Prince's banquet."

My head throbs at the mention of the Crown Prince. It's finally time to meet the protagonist and her dogs.

"Yes, yes." I wave her away from my bed, growing irritated from her breathing down my neck.

I get up slowly, yawning while following them to the other side of the abnormally large room.

They ready me beautifully, all of them seem concentrated. I close my eyes as they do my hair-

"Woah!" I gasp as a corset is tightened on me, my posture immediately straightening and my waist squeezing in on my organs.

That's going to take a while to get used to.

"The dress is here." Another maid enters the room, it's the one from my second day who was there when I went on a walk.

It's a gorgeous dress, so gorgeous I can't help but be excited to see it on me. It's deep red with large, drooping sleeves. White lace lines the hem of it and the skirt is fluffed, matching white flowery designs running down some of the creases.

After the dress is fastened tightly around me and a matching pair of equally gorgeous shoes are laid out for me, there's a knock on the door.

"Come in."

"I'm leaving before you." Zachary Raiyus leans against the doorway after pushing it open, checking his pocket watch. "I don't want to be seen entering with you."

He looks up at me after checking it and sighs. "Keep this up, though."

"Huh?" I frown.

"The mansion has been pleasant these last few days, so keep quiet as you've been doing." He nods approvingly which irks me even more.

"Go, I need to get my hair done and you're bothering me." I turn back to the mirror, blowing a strand of hair out of my face.

"Hey, I was just complimenting you. I guess you're just too uncivilized to understand manners." He slams the door behind him, making a few maids jump.

"Just keep working." I say as those maids apologize profusely.

I've noticed so far I haven't received a single eye roll or annoying comment from them. If this continues, maybe living happily before my death won't be so hard. The main problem would definitely be Zachary.

"You're all ready, Miss," says the one maid who I can remember.

I'm not sure I can ever get used to this face. But at the same time, I don't think I can ever get bored of looking at it.

I admire Leondra in the mirror, almost forgetting my surroundings before turning to the maid.

"What's your name?"

"M-My name is Alice, Miss." And then she begins trembling all over again.

"Thank you, Alice." I turn to the rest. "And you've all done a good job too."

"Of course, Lady Raiyus." A few murmur back, the rest just bowing.

"I'll bring you to the carriage, Miss." Alice says, leading me out.

In a way, I'm almost glad Leondra isn't here right now. Here she is going to her fiancé's banquet, and even though she loves him so much, she will enter the building completely alone, without a friend and even without her own family on her side.

No wonder she was so angry when she saw him and Alana cozying up alone.

A knight guarding the entrance to the house helps me onto the carriage as Alice leaves.

"Leondra."

I turn my head quickly to him, his helmet covers his face, making me unsure of who he is.

How odd it is that the first person to call me by her name is some unknown knight.

"And you are?" I ask suspiciously.

"Eden." He removes the helmet, revealing the face of the man I helped yesterday. His face is still scratched up, but upon further inspection I notice a scar that runs from the bridge of his nose diagonally to his cheek, faint but otherwise large.

"Why are you here? Shouldn't you be resting?"

"It's my duty. And I'm all better." He smiles at me but his eyes show no kindness.

"It's good you regained your voice then. But I need to go now," I say after seeing the carriage driver peek around the corner.

"And don't call me Leondra in front of others, they won't handle it well."

"Will you tell me what to call you next time we meet then? And you also wanted to know why I was hurt."

I rip my hand away, the one he is still holding even though I've already stepped onto the carriage.

"Yes. Alright, goodbye." I sit down and call the driver to say I'm ready to go after closing the door.

"It won't be dangerous for you to travel alone?"

I grimace. Why is he being so persistent?

"I'll most likely be alright." But his comment does worry me. Zachary Raiyus must want his sister dead. A noble lady traveling hours in a carriage alone? Oh well, if I die early it's his fault.

Eden does not put his helmet back on as I leave, he only stares blankly at me while waving his hand.