chapter cuatro

"Denver, Colorado" The blonde woman behind the desk smiled. "Here you go ", she took her ticket, thanked her and went to gate 28. She just wanted to visit them, see them, hug them, and find out who they are now. It's been 2 years since Zoe had seen them the last time. Tajana visited her with the 2 of them in Miami. It was a beautiful vacation and she still remembered the night from the day they left, how she cried because she knew she would never find friends like them, family like them somewhere in Miami. Oh, she will miss Miami, it was her place. With all the colorful lights from the clubs and bars, the palms, and the sea, oh how she loved the beach. It was like Miami represented Zoe. She hazed outside of the small window from the plane before it raised towards the dark sky, which was filled with glowing stars and she sank in her seat. "Wow", she thought. Zoe loved flying, all in all, she wasn't the kind of person who was afraid of many things. She just did them, she just lived no matter what would come her way. Because this little girl died mentally so many times, she just decided to live someday. Zoe looked at the contours from California the last time before they disappeared into an enormous cloud.

Sunday, June 1st, 2006

When Ev woke up she lay under her blanket in her bed, nothing new, but as she turned on the other side to stretch a bit she startled. And then the memories from last night occurred again. How Bethany was a maniac again, how Dylan and she talked and the way she felt, this kind of pressure that got relieved. And she also remembered that they both told way too much. 

But the even bigger shock wasn't Dylan lying on the floor, it was the time, past 12 which meant Ev's parents or more her dad and his fat spouse were probably already home again. Dylan was still sleeping, he lay on his stomach with his tousled dark black hair, with the same outfit he came to wanted to visit a party and then go home by 1 or 2 a.m. And now he lays on the floor from a girl, he now knows way too much about. 

She stood up and went to her door to see if it was still locked, and as she wanted to push down the doorknob out of a sudden a red face obliged her. Iggy, followed by her dad and the lovely Bethany all stepped into her room. Not until this moment Eveyln did realize how wrong it looks when this guy lays on her floor in the morning after a night alone. 

"Dad..-", tried Evelyn to start with, but he interrupted her and ranted at her. He claimed things she had no idea about like the broken vase in the dining room, all the empty alcohol bottles outside, and lastly, the whole party Evelyn threw. And then it made sense, after locking her stepsister in her room the whole night Bethany now accused her.  Everyone yelled at Ev from all sides and at some point, Evelyn couldn't take it anymore. But suddenly a familiar calm voice suppressed the noises

 "No, Bethany you know correctly that it was your party and you locked us in here, it really isn't what it looks like Mister Brennan"

 Ev stared at him, shocked by his statement, for the first time in her life someone would speak for her, and from all the people that existed Dylan, the asshole from our city who fucks every girl she knew. It was silent for a moment and Ev was so relieved. The next thing that happened was Iggy pounced on Dylan, the reallyyyy big Iggy on Dylan, who was actually not that skinny, he had a lot of muscles, but in this situation, he seemed like the skinniest guy in the world and his gaze was indescribable. But before jumping on him she screamed 

" You little bastard stop accusing my daughter", as a kind of starting whistle. The situation was funny, even if it shouldn't be, but before Ev could take a photo her dad already came and took Iggy aggressively from the poor guy. And after he dragged him all the way from Evelyn's room, downstairs to the door, he kicked him out, with no chance for Evelyn to prohibit it. 

She wanted to run to him, to say sorry, sorry for everything, for her family, for the way this ended, but no chance, because the grip from Iggy was too strong. Evelyn's cheek got wet and she was sobbing, not just because of how embarrassed she was for her family, but also because of the hits on her face from Iggy. For the rest of this Sunday, she was just laying on her bed all day, staring at the wall. She had messed it up with the only person who understood her, with a person she even enjoyed being with.

Monday, June 2nd,2006

English class fell out, so Ev took advantage of this opportunity to go to Dylan and talk to him, even though at some point she just wanted to never see him again because of what happened.

"Dylan?"

"Oh, hey Ev, how's house arrest going?", he said mischievously

"Well I am locked with cruel people for no reason I couldn't do better"

Dylan laughed cordially, meanwhile, they walked their way to sit on a bench, in the park with their coffee. It was a sunny warm day and school went over quickly.

After school Dylan came home by midday, he walked on the gravel path towards the terrace with his headphones in. He greeted his sister, his mom, and Marco, "ugh Marco", he thought. Marco was a kind of cleaner, but he was also here for cooking, helping Dylan's mom, and so on. Dylan's relationship with him has always been terrible. He thought he could be this new dad but, his Mom, Tajana doesn't need another man, they are all dicks anyway, just like Papa.

The next days went over fast, Dylan always picked Ev up at 4 pm, Ev sneaked through the door from the living room in the garden and here you go, you're free. They got along perfectly, which was shocking for both of them. If you remember all of this was a big coincidence, just because they jumped over their shadows and opened up, they both have a person who understands them and they are there for each other now. They used to hate each other because of dumb bias.

 Av and Dylan seemed to live separate lives and from week to week, they saw each other less. Ev felt sorry for that and she never really talked to Dylan because of his old best friend Av. A small part of Ev even liked it, Av had everything, and now finally Ev seemed to have something she hadn't anymore.

And Av had everything, a big house with nice furniture, just next to Dylan's house. The big veranda, the kempt garden, oh and of course the pool. The pool was drawn in a circle and on the edge of the alley with small glims that led to the colossal door. Her family set values that Av had a good life. In her first 4 years, she grew up in Sank Vincent in the Caribbean, but after they couldn't work any longer as gardeners and wanted a new job they moved to Colorado. There she met his neighbor, Dylan, everybody knew they would marry, but Dylan's decision was different. The perfect combination of her features, her big cool friend group, and her good grades. But this facet wasn't worth nothing, if you are as sinister as she was, all this will stumble down one day. Like Dylan said their friends were kind of toxic to each other, it's all about your reputation. And with Dylan f Ev started to not care about her rivalry for the first time, she just lived.

When Ev first came into Dylan's house Layla looked at her doubtfully, a new "best friend", that replaced Av, the Av who was on her brother's side since she moved here. But Layla quickly noticed Evelyn did him good. After Aviana was there her big brother was more wrought up, but with Evelyn, he was more chatty, he was happier, dived deeper into the daily question "How are you" and he didn't accept the "Good" anymore, because he knew it was a lie from the very beginning. And after Layla observed all of that, she ended her conclusion that she was better for Dylan. So the first impression Layla made, where she just said cantankerous "Hey", ended up with Layla and Ev being good friends too. So, after a few weeks, it wasn't a "Come to my house" anymore, it became a "Come to our house" kind of thing. After the party, Dylan was never at Ev's house again, I mean how should he be allowed to, he was the guy in Evelyn's room, she supposedly "fucked" with. That was the first impression and also the last for Ev's dad. As if he cared that they are really good friends now and are a kind of therapy for each other. As if he cared, that Ev finally had somewhere to go, finally something exciting in her life.