¹³ | Cruel Summer

"𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐔𝐒 𝐀𝐋𝐋 about New York," Julie Gaffney requests, her fingers looping through the braids of Connie's hair. "Is it really like how it is in the movies?"

Rowan laughs while sorting through Julie's pile of clothes to donate. "Well first and foremost, it's loud. And busy. But it's incredible. You just see so many parts of different lives there, the way you wouldn't here."

"Were you in the city?"

"Mostly, yeah," she shrugs.

Connie sighs. "That sounds amazing. I want to live in New York."

"You've never been," Julie points out.

"Not true," the dark brunette argues. "I went when I was two and a half."

"That does not count!"

"It so does!"

"Whatever," Julie dismisses. "There's got to be more than just loud, busy, and incredible."

Connie grins. "What about the boys?"

"Connie!"

"It's a fair question!"

"The boys are fine," Rowan answers, folding the final shirt before joining the two on Julie's bed.

"Do you mean like fine or fine?"

"Con, I really doubt she spent the time analyzing the boys in New York."

Rowan nods. "But I'll come back with a full report next time just for you, Connie."

"Thank you, I appreciate that."

"Yeah, I'm sure Guy does too," Rowan adds.

"Oh, don't bring him up–it'll just enable her," Julie sneers.

"What?"

Connie looks up at the goaltender and scoffs. "Apparently Jules here is tired of hearing the story of my night with Guy from our anniversary."

"Whoa, what?" Rowan questions, sudden intrigue shooting her upright.

"It was a great listen the first three times, Con, but after a while, the details become a little sickening."

"I'm ignoring you now so I can tell Rowan," Connie says, turning to her other side. "So you know how Guy and I waited to have sex because I didn't want to be a teen mother like my mom?"

"Yeah," Rowan nods slowly.

"Well, about two weeks ago it was our anniversary and he was going to take me out to this really nice restaurant, but then the restaurant had to shut down because of a rat problem. So instead, we decided to just make dinner together at my house. We were home alone and it was storming-"

"Good environment," Rowan quickly notes.

"Right?" Connie grins. "But anyways, we were making dinner in our pajamas and it was just so nice for it to just be me and him because it feels like we're always around our friends now. Then, he turned the radio on and my favorite song started playing–we started dancing, of course. Halfway through he just started kissing me and it wasn't just like any other kiss. It was that kind of kiss where you're just like 'Oh this is going somewhere' and you can just feel it in your chest. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

Rowan says yes at the same time Julie says no.

"So we were making out for a little bit and I just got this feeling, and it took over my entire body-"

"Oh, God," Julie groans.

"I had this feeling that everything was so right. It was him. I knew it was going to be him and it was going to be that night. I don't know how I just knew all of that right then and there. I had not known anything about when or where it was going to happen before in my entire life. It was just like my moment where everything just clicked. Guy is just the best person in the world. I couldn't imagine giving myself to anyone else like that."