Chapter 8

A few hours later, y/n was laying on Hobie's bed for what had seemed an eternity for him, so he decided to bring her some tea, in order to check on how she was doing. 
With a cup in his hand, Hobie knocked at the door and waited for her answer. 
-Come in...- y/n replied, but her voice was nothing more than a whisper. 
The man lowered the handle and walked in, not sure what to say or do, but he had to give it a try. 
There she was, on the bed with traces of dry tears on her cheeks. 
-How do you feel?- he asked, approaching. 
-Yeah, just...just a bit of headache.- she replied, sniffling a little. 
-I brought you this. I thought you might want something to drink. It's warm, but not hot, so you don't burn yourself.- he explained, handing her the cup -And it should help with the headache.- 
-Thanks...- she whispered, looking up at him, taking a sip of it. 
At that moment she asked herself how did he know that she didn't like that her tea was too hot or that some tea could help her with headaches, but she dismissed that thought, telling herself that it was a simple coincidence or a thing that most people did. 
Hobie looked at her as she drank, and in his opinion, her face was a bit more relaxed, even though her hands were still trembling a little, and her eyes were a bit reddish. 
God, if he hated seeing her like this. 
-I'm sorry if I brought you here against your will, I really am. I too would have fought with all myself it that was my universe, so I respect you for that.- he said, sitting on the edge of the bed, noticing that y/n didn't say anything, he kept talking trying to fill that silence and make it less awkward as possible -Anyway, that wasn't the first time that something like that happened. I'm sure everything is okay and there's nothing to be worried about. Let's just wait until they come and give us some updates, alright?- 
-Mhmh, yeah.- y/n nodded, looking up at him. 
-Look, I have an idea. What would you say if tonight I bring you around? We can go out, and I can show you things.- he proposed, not wanting to keep her locked up in his apartment the whole rest of the day. 
-Sounds nice, yeah.- y/n gave him a half smile, putting the cup, now half empty on the nightstand -Thanks for everything, really. And I'm sorry if I'm being a bother...- 
-You don't have to thank me or apologize. If someone here has to apologize, it's me, for the way I treated you yesterday.- 
-It's okay, really. I can understand why. I mean, someone suddenly came into your life and your apartment.- she continued -So no hard feelings.- she smiled as he smiled back. 
Now that y/n was smiling, Hobie felt more relieved seeing her more relaxed and visibly more okay. 
-Can I do something for you?- he asked her as she took another sip of tea.
-No, I don't think so. Thank you, tho.- she responded -Maybe I should take a shower or at least change my clothes.- she pointed to her backpack with her gaze. 
-I get it, yeah.- he raised his hand in surrender -If you need more clothes, you know where they are.- he replied, standing up. 
-Yeah, thanks a lot for those.- y/n thanked him. 
-I'll go, and I'll let you do what you wanna do. For anything I'm in the other room.- Hobie said, standing up going in the kitchen. 
Arrived there, he sat on the couch after taking his guitar. 
As he saw y/n disappearing in the bathroom, he started to play the guitar, as he used to do for cleaning his mind from the thoughts that invaded it. 
As his fingers contacted the strings, creating music, Hobie couldn't stop glancing at the bathroom door whenever there was the slightest change in noise coming from that room, fearing for y/n, even though there was no reason to. 
He wondered what she was possibly thinking at that moment. 
When the sound of running water stopped, his head immediately tilted towards the door. 
Hobie mentally cursed himself for being this involved with her after just one day. 
-I finished.- y/n announced some time later, after leaving the bathroom. 
-Good. Everything was okay, yeah?- he asked with a small smile as he kept playing his guitar. 
-It was, yeah.- y/n replied nodded at him -I've heard you playing the guitar while I was dressing up. You're pretty amazing, honestly. I never heard anyone playing like that. I remained quite fascinated by the music.- 
-Oh, thank you. It was 'God save the Queen' by Sex Pistols, just a bit reinterpreted.- Hobie smile grew, but he tried not to show it off too much -Anyway...- 
Before he could speak, a portal opened up right ahead of them. 
Both their heads tilted up, looking at the source of light. 
From the portal, Jessica and Gwen appeared. 
The first had a weird look on her face, a mix between worry and disappointment, while the second's gaze was locked on the ground, and it didn't look like she had the intention of raising it.  
-Hey. You have news?- y/n's voice was full of hope as she smiled to the two girls -When can I go back to my universe?-
Hobie noticed her gaze full of optimism and joy, in contrast with Jessica's and Gwen's. 
-We're...we're sorry.- the older woman said, carefully. 
Those three words were enough to bring the world down on her. 
Her universe had collapsed. 
Everything and everyone she had always known were now gone forever. 
all around her was like it had been put in slow motion as her mind tried to elaborate and process those informations.
-y/n...?- Gwen whispered to her, trying to snap her back to reality. 
-We tried everything we could, we really did, honey.- Jessica continued speaking, but y/n seemed like in some sort of trance. 
Next thing they knew was that Miguel had sent them a message saying that, for security reasons, every Spider-Being had to come back to their universe, to avoid any more problems related to the Spider Verse, almost like a lockdown, for at least five to six days. 
-Hobie, since she's here already, can she keep staying here?- Jessica asked him.
He looked over at y/n before nodding at her. 
How was he going to handle living with her for a week?