Your Screams

Au: No Au, Set in same exact time period as the original musical
Tw: Severe Homophobia, hate crimes, assault, screams, blood, crying

Jack leaned against the ladder underneath where he slept, drumming his fingers atop the metal. While the better job had allowed Jack an improved living style, he still lacked the stability to buy his own place. So naturally, he remained where he had been years prior with crutchie, his penthouse in the sky. He allowed his eyes to slowly blink close, resting his eyelids as his ears took in the surrounding noises. Blaring sirens scattered throughout the entire city, the rustling of cars underneath him, along with light chatter heard this late at night.

However, Jack's eye twitched as an unfamiliar voice coated the nearby area. The words were followed by various shouts, and the noise of trambling feet running in desperation. He flung his eyes open, jolting himself awake. Jack glared downwards where he began to make out 4 figures, 3 men circling this other boy, who seemed to be clutching his bag.

"I don't know what you want from me!" The boy exasperated, gasping for air as he slowly backed away from the others. And the moment he spoke in that familar tone, the moment the words flowed out of his mouth with that knowing voice, Jack's entire body tensed.

"Davey," Jack mumbled, his arms stiffened as he watched. He could recognize anything about that boy from a mile away, which he did just now as he clocked in his identity even while peering from above.

Davey swallowed the lump of spit welling up inside his throat, heart pounding against his chest. He knew talking to Les in such a public area would be dangerous, but he had to explain everything to him or Les could blurt it out unknowingly.

"Wes heard you talking to ya brother," One of the others spat, slipping a baseball bat out from his bag. "About your little secret."

Davey let out a gasp, gulping in fear. "Please," he began, "I have a family, my mother, my father, my brother,my twin sister. I'm just a newsboy, I don't make much money as it is,"he begged. "I can't take this."

Jack scrunched up his nose, slowly climbing downward from his ladder, however not enough where the people would notice his presence. What the hell were they talking about?! What secret? Surely Jack would know everything about Davey.

A cackle, "Please, I don't think ya poor family would be happy to hear from you anyway, fuckin' queer."

Davey stumbled backwards in an attempt to run off, but he found himself constantly backed into another corner. Suddenly, his view was ungulphed by a bat swinging at his head, and Davey swiftly ducked underneath, heart pounding. He could hear the blood sloshing around his head, and as he regained his breath from that close hit, he felt a surging pain stab his side.

Davey gasped, clutching his side as the fist that had hit it was removed, the pain tingled spreading through his entire body. He tightned his hand to a fist, thoughts spiralling around his head. Davey sucked in a breath, bracing the impact of the previous punch before another hit him before he had enough time to respond. The hit landed square in his face, sending davey tumbling backwards, a trail of blood trickling down his nose.

In desperation, Davey kicked at the boy approaching him, wincing at the pain from the previous hits. He squeezed his eyes closed and spat out a chunk of blood, leaving a copper tang in his mouth. His vision blurred as he felt more pain shoot through his veins, leaving his head spinning. He gripped the sidewalk he sat upon, his knees wobbling as he tried to stand once again.

Meanwhile, Jack was leaping down the fire escape, without much care for his own safety. As long as he'd reach the ground as quick as possible. He swung from each ladder, internally cursing at himself for not heading down there the moment he saw the figures approach. "Fuck Dave, please don't be hurt or worse." The sounds of swinging along with yelps of pain were all Jack could focus on now, drowning out the other sounds throughout the city. Luckily though, at least Davey didn't look completely helpless. He was trying to fight back, not well but trying.