Chapter 1

Everyday Celebrity

Date: 1st September 2023

Author: Bella Reed

Gauri Tridevi to Auction Off Gowns

Film legend, trailblazer and 70s fashionista Gauri Tridevi has announced that she will donating seven of her famous gowns to her daughter's Ariana Malhotra's auction which is being held to raise money for LifeCure which is a charity dedicated as per their slogan 'Empowering Hope Against Blood Cancer' in honour of September being Blood Cancer Awareness Month.

At age 76, Gauri Tridevi has long been known for setting up new fashion trends and being an icon of glamour. Many of the gowns she will be auctioning off are part of her long glamorous career in both Hollywood and Bollywood.

Those looking to own a bit of Gauri Tridevi's gowns must know that whilst yet the gowns are indeed spellbinding, they all have a bit of history intertwined in them in terms of the context by which they were worn in. Included in the collection of the seven gowns are the Enchanting Emerald gown - the breathtaking emerald green gown showcases Gauri Tridevi's elegance and grace. Crafted from luxurious silk, the floor-length gown comes with intricate silver and crystal embellishments, reminiscent of delicate vines, a plunging neckline which adds a touch of allure and a flowing skirt which cascades effortlessly, exuding regal charm. This gown holds the enchantment of being worn by Gauri Tridevi during her iconic appearance at the Cannes Film Festival in 1975 - where she mesmerised the world by not only her radiant beauty but also by being the first woman of South Asian heritage to be invited to such a prestigious event.

Another gown which will be included in the auction the 'Scarlet Seduction gown is a mesmerising creation worn by the actress during a pivotal scene in her iconic film 'Crimson Hearts' where she portrayed a femme fatale with a mysterious past. The ravishing scarlet gown captures the essence of fiery passion and allure. Crafted from luxurious satin, the gown hugs the curves of the wearer, accentuating their figure with grace and elegance. The off-shoulder neckline and intricate draping on the bodice adds a touch of sensuality, while the cascading ruffles at the back creates a dramatic and captivating effect.

With the announcement of the gown auctioning, we can't help but go back to Gauri's colourful past. Tridevi has weathered her share of Hollywood scandals which have expanded to Bollywood as well, not the least being the mystery surrounding her children's father. Gauri Tridevi has kept her children's father a secret since the birth of her firstborn child Mahir Tridevi who goes by his mother's maiden name. It was first thought that Mahir Tridevi was the son of Gauri's first husband actor Krishan Suryavanshi but it was later revealed through Krishan's parents the well remembered actor Hemant Suryavanshi and actress Anjali Chopra.

Born Gaurika Kumari Tridevi to lower-class Indian Gujarati parents in 1947, Tridevi spent her childhood growing up in Surat, India. In 1962, at aged 15, she started working as a Bollywood extra till 1965 where she made her debut as lead actress in Sangharsh Ka Safar. She worked tirelessly till she not only became the member of the Bollywood Elite but also became the first Indian actress to walk in the light of Hollywood, establishing a place for her and a place for those of South Asian heritage who wish to be part of a predominantly white industry. She remained in the spotlight till 2015, now residing in Beverly Hills.

Daring, beautiful and never willing to give up her principles, Gauri Tridevi has long been an inspiration for South Asians in foreign countries and movie lovers all over the world, still worshipped in India. This auction is estimated to raise towards $10 million.

Comments

Hwalker.22: oh to be rich! I would love to own one of Gauri Tridevi's gowns

DancingQueen: Gauri Tridevi is a true fashion icon! I can't wait to see these beautiful gowns up for auction. Such a great cause too!