Chapter 4

This place had a library? Man, why had I wasted time searching for a damn arcade room when I could have escaped into a whole other world? 

  The room was larger than I expected and vacant to my surprise. Appearing to be abandoned for a while. I guess when you had access to a room full of books everyday, the excitement grew a little tedious, but not to me. It was late in the afternoon and everyone probably had other obligations and forms of entertainment but I was grateful for the uninterrupted peace.

  It didn’t take long for a book to snatch my interest, then planted my behind in a plush chair to lose myself in the pages. That was until I was scared back to reality by the ringing of my phone.

  “Hello.”

  “Where are you at?” my brother asked.

  “I’m in the library. What’s up?”

  “Are you alone?”

  I glanced around. “I think so. Why?”

  “Okay, I was just checking on you. Are you okay?”

  I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, I’m fine. Did you forget I’m locked up on a werewolf compound? There’s not much of anything happening here.”

  “Right,” he agreed, unimpressed with my attitude. “Weren't you going to Chug’s tonight with a few of us?”

  That perked me up. “What? I can really go?”

  “If you want. I’ll be there with you so I’m not too concerned with you escaping,” he attempted to joke.

  “Yes! Oh man, I figured I was gonna spend two weeks getting neck cramps from reading all day. Yes, I am definitely coming tonight.”

  “You're not drinking a drop,” he promised. More like warned.

  I rolled my eyes again like he could see me. “Oh please. I'll just play bartender for everyone while I sip on my virgin margarita.”

  “Yeah you have jokes. You're riding with me so be ready by eight.”

  “Yes, sir,” I mocked in a deep voice.

  The call went dead without another word.

  Checking my phone, I closed the book, and decided to take it with me for later. I headed to the cafeteria for a to-go meal before I needed to return to my room and search through my wardrobe for something suitable to wear. 

  But while standing outside the kitchen reading and waiting patiently for my order of broccoli soup a voice caused me to jump.

  “What cha’ reading?”

  Startled, my body jolted. “Shit,” I mumbled, steadying my heart.

  He smiled at my reaction. 

  My neck cranked to look up at him due to his close proximity. “It’s called The Night In.”

  He cocked a brow. “Interesting cover picture,” he mused.

  I twisted the book to see a shirtless man holding a shirtless woman to his chest and I willed myself not to blush in embarrassment. “It's a little cliche but it's good so far.”

  He nodded, wearing a grin while his eyes stayed locked to mine. “What are you waiting for?” 

  My gaze fell to the floor briefly. “Some soup. They ran out on the buffet but they were supposed to be bringing me some. What are you running around getting into?” I asked to be polite.