In Another Lifetime

Character death??? Murder??? Someone dies but in another universe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, Salem?"

"Yes, Nolan?"

"Imagine if I was a murderer!"

And for a moment, we were stood in front of a ravine.

"Yeah, right! As if you'd ever be capable of hurting anyone"

There was someone else there. Who was it?

"Maybe you're right, or maybe-" he hugged me from behind, " I'm a psycho serial killer!"

That someone fell into the ravine. Oh, what sorrows their death would bring. I could hear my heart break like fragile glass; Or was that just their bones shattering as they landed? I look for him, seeking comfort. His eyes are a little too cold. They didn't trip, did they?

"Ugh- dude! The more you talk, the more I wish you were a murderer; just so I could stop hearing your voice!" I joked, swatting at him to get away.

He pushed them, and he knows I know.

"Don't insult me! Police might find you dead inside a bottomless pit!"

"How would that even work?!"

So little comfort came before death, and even less after. What was meant to be comfort ended in blood pools. A warm embrace turned icy within seconds(or had he always been this cold to me?). All I wanted was to be cared for the same way I cared for others. He shoved me towards the edge, and for a moment I was flying. For a moment, I was free from death and life all the same. To step away from him was to free myself of burdens. Just for a moment, I simply existed.

But as I felt myself fall, peace turned into dread.

"It'd work because I'd make it work"

I scoffed. "Sure, buddy. You wouldn't betray your best friend though, would you?" I asked him, already knowing the answer.

"Nah, I wouldn't"

Why was his betrayal warmer than his adoration?

"I'd probably come back from the dead just to teach you a lesson"

I swore to myself as my body descended, that I would teach him a lesson.

Something changed the day he asked what I'd do if he was a murderer. He seemed honest about his loyalty, but I couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong. So as I fell over the railing and down the building, I knew who pushed me.

For some reason, I didn't scream. For some reason, this felt familiar. For some reason, I knew my job wasn't done.

Lifetimes ago, he pushed us over the edge. For lifetimes to come, he will learn to regret it.

- S and I

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh no! The oneshot has unexplained lore! And is also incredibly short! What ever will I do?!

Bonus part that didn't fit anywhere 😋:

Somehow, the stone ground felt more welcoming than his open arms. The whispers of revenge were sweeter than his promise of friendship. I tried to imagine his tears silently fall as my body fell, fell, fell. As much as I tried to convince myself, I knew there were no tears. I knew he would smile as my body hit the ground; and as blood seeped onto the damned stone, he would laugh.