Chapter 47: Taylor

Once I reach the outskirts of Galariesse, I look around for any castle guards that may be lurking around the edge of the forest. Luckily, there are none and I hastily head over to the Lifeblood.

While I know this is a bad idea that will most likely result in the loss of something very dear to me, it's what needs to be done. Without Christian, I feel empty. The whole Kingdom should suffer with me, only until I swoop in to save them, killing Archie and claiming the throne. It would practically be a crime to have an ineffective King, why not replace him with someone more capable of handling the job?

Nobody will ever know that it was me who did this. It's impossible. There's no one around. And once it's done, I can prove to them that their King is unworthy to rule and that I'm the one who's fit for the job. I'm their true King. All it takes is skillfully taking him out without anybody else knowing.

I'll be their knight in shining armor. I'll make it look like I was the one who saved them from this danger that's about to ensue! My past will be forgotten and all will bow down to me. See, Christian? I don't need you to take the throne. I'm doing this by myself, and I hope to the gods that you're watching, Christian.

If you're looking down on me from wherever you are right now, maybe you're disappointed in me. Maybe you hate me for not being able to save you.

"I get it, Christian. I hate myself, too," I say aloud, looking up at the sky through the leaves creating a canopy over me. "If only there was a way to get you back."

Turning my attention back to the Lifeblood, I light my hand. I take a few steps closer to the massive tree and squeeze my eyes shut for a moment. I'd say I owe myself an apology in advance, I think.

I laugh nervously and take my own thoughts' advice. "I'm so sorry," I say between fits of laughter.

I place my lit hand on the bark of the tree and it catches fire, spreading quickly around the trunk. I remove my hand and step away, admiring my work. I wave my hands up and in circles, remembering the practice I did with Christian to learn how to manipulate fire. Thank the gods for black magic. I have Dolorem Ipsum with me, just in case I need some reinforcement, but things seem to be going just as I planned. The flames creep along the branches and to the leaves, sending smoke up into the sky.

Just then, the fire disappears.

"What–?" I croak out.

Something pulls me backwards and I fall back, my head smacking the ground. When I regain my composure, I sit up and rub the back of my head, groaning.

A voice comes from behind me. "How dare you?"

I know that voice.