Chapter 15 - Supermarket Run

Trang did not realize her grave wardrobe mistake until she drove into the nearest box store's parking lot. "I survived the pandemic in sweats and liked it" screamed from head to toes. Since her time abroad, it wasn't the no bra or no make-up look she was worried about being seen by old hometown folks - in fact, she thrived in the au naturale lifestyle. It was just Trang had always imagined that her homecoming would be the one even her parents would be elated and proud to witness.

Instead of her alma mater's oversized sweater and sweatpants, it would be a posh gray suit she'd be wearing.

Instead of being almost thirty and lost in love and career, she'd be marching through those doors with a four carat ring on her finger and a baby bump that's not currently intentionally hidden under the ridiculous number of layers of clothing.

Since when did she begin feeling so behind in life? Did she forget the moment she wondered how anyone could say they've lived without having climbed a mountain range trail, where folks were recommended to acquire helicopter insurance before embarking?

The first time Trang used the expression of "feeling alive" in the most genuine sense was when she was being pelted by chunks of snow - whether it came from the sky or surrounding peaks, she didn't know - while being surpassed by a group of experienced hikers who seemed to be showcasing an effortless time treading on the same thin, deadly sheet of ice that she had been treading for hours.

She rarely ever needed to eye on other cars driving out of their space as she preferred parking near the end of the lot - some would say that she was crazy for being so willing to walk an extra five to seven minutes to the storefront, but if it means not exposing herself to people she might know and bump into, she'd take it. That's what set Trang apart from the others. Having grown used to being perceived as the black sheep in the family, she usually did not have qualms about making unconventional decisions -for the short or long term, such as selling all of her belongings to move to Australia to work on a mango farm and majoring in a non-STEM field in college. It felt more odd and surreal being back in her hometown at her age now than bumming under the stars with a bunch of strangers with no knowledge of her exact whereabouts.

Supermarkets were the closest she felt at home. No matter where she went, she always needed to be where fruits and bread were within a hand's reach. Callused and dry, her fingertips brush across the bumpy textures of colorful peels before traveling towards the disappointingly hard bread crusts. Call this preference a part of her survivor's tendencies, but she's willing to admit that simply pressing her nose against an orange and getting a whiff of nostalgia from the citrus-y smell was actually more for sentiment's sake. As her eyes scanned for the near expiration basket of bread products, she scoffed at the idea of actually purchasing any of them, having acquired much of her recent sustenance abroad from dumpster diving.

Because the food section was such a wide and open space, Trang didn't let herself spend too much time there, scurrying over to the last aisle at the other end of the store in search of her go-to personal hygiene brands. On her way there, her phone rang.

"Hey. So, I guess you're not mad at me anymore if you're calling me now," Trang spoke.

"Yeah, we can table that for later. So, my car broke down in the middle of the highway," her younger sister admitted.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay? Where are you?" Trang cried, having stopped in the middle of the hallway, forcing a few carts behind her (they were ready for check-out) to squeeze through the small gap left between the remaining spaces. Oblivious to the frustrated movements around her, Trang continued, "Did anyone get hurt?"

"No, I'm fine. Angel's fine."

Trang exhaled a short sigh of relief. "Do you need me to get you?"

Surprised and touched hearing that her older sister would drop everything to come get her, despite not even knowing where she was yet, Linny replied, "No, I think... I'll be okay... I just..." A long pause and then, a few sniffles came from the other end of the line.