Chapter 0 - Prologue

Wisteria Inn Kyoto - 10 years ago.

A young girl with short pigtails ran through a snow-filled garden, as giggles filled the air. She laid on her back, stretching her limbs out as she exhaled, seeing her breath in the cold night air.

A soft meow caught her attention as she sat up quickly, seeing a black cat on top of the garden wall. A smile broke across her face as she approached the cat, attempting to entice it down and into her warm arms.

Standing on a ladder, the girl tried harder to coax the cat towards her as it sat with its tail neatly tucked, watching her struggle and call for it.

Her right arm was outstretched as she placed her hand in front of the cat's nose, allowing it to sniff her carefully before it bumped its head on her fingers.

A triumphant laugh escaped her, startling the creature as it jolted before jumping down the other side of the wall, into the street.

The girl hesitated, she knew she wasn't supposed to leave the garden, the illuminated purple haze of the Wisteria tree was a constant reminder.

Shivering as the wind blew the falling snow into her face, she thought about the cat being cold and decided it was worth the risk.

Unlatching the gate, she stepped into the empty street. Her breathing was shaky as she quietly called out for her new friend.

Rounding the corner of the street, she spotted her friend, curled under a cart as snow gathered around him. Her heart ached at the sight, thinking he must be cold.

All fear left her body as she jogged towards the creature, softly calling out, she knelt down. Reaching out, the cat allowed her to pick him up, tucking him into her purple haori.

She grinned as the cat nestled against her chest, turning to head back home, a strange figure caught her eye.

It was hard to make out his appearance, but she was sure it was a man. She shivered at his presence, there was something wrong with him, why was he outside?

Taking several steps back, she froze when she heard him begin laughing. Her heart stopped as she blinked and he was suddenly in front of her. His eyes were red, and his skin pale, almost green in the night light.

He smiled, baring his sharp, animal-like fangs as he lunged at her. Tackling her to the ground, he sunk his teeth into her shoulder as she screamed out in pain.

Releasing her shoulder, he laughed as she tried to scramble away. Tightly holding her new friend in her haori, while her shoulder bled.

The young girl could barely see, the pain and tears making her vision blur. She heard her fathers voice, calling out her name as she turned her head.

He was running towards the demon, an axe in hand. As he attacked the monster, he called for his daughter to run back home. To lock the gate and find help.

The demon grabbed the man by his throat, complaining about the interruption, and something about men not being as tasty as he lifted him off the ground.

Toshimi wanted to help, to save her father, but she was afraid. Her shoulder ached and the guilt of knowing this was her fault burned her throat.

Rising to her feet, she turned and ran, doing as her father said. A trail of blood followed her, littering the perfect snow laid path.

When she reached the gate, she turned back in time to see the demon sink his teeth into her fathers throat as he struggled before going limp in the monster's arms.

Rushing through the gate, she locked the door before running into the house to tell her mother. The bleeding hadn't stopped and she almost forgot about the sweet cat carefully protected in her haori.

Carefully pulling him out, she placed him on her bed, wrapping him in a blanket before running to her mothers room.

After that night, news spread quickly that a demon had attacked another member of the Fujiwara family. Toshimi's mother rarely spoke to her, only to degrade or reprimand for causing her father's death.

It only got worse as time went on, years had passed and Toshimi no longer cried at the harsh words of her mothers. No longer flinched at her mothers beatings.

She had discovered that her mother would grow tired of yelling or beating her if she didn't cry. If she kept the gentle smile on her face as though nothing bothered her.

At the age of 18, Toshimi left home without a word. She left a letter that remained unread, asking that her mother forgive her, to stay in good health and take care of herself.

At the age of 19, Toshimi was a member of the Hashira, the Snow Pillar in the Demon Slayer Corps.

At the age of 20, she began her journey against the Demon King Muzan, if she were lucky, she would die a hero's death.