a new conundrum, final scene

I checked Britain's office. It surprised me to find out that he wasn't there. He's always there. It's impossible. It doesn't make any sense.

I've decided to check outside. Everyone needs fresh air at some point right? Besides, Britain likes plants. And there are plants outside. It's perfect logic.

I wander around the gardens. It is pretty calm out here. I kind of like it. All the green and whatnot. Yes. Green. Green is an okay colour. It's not as good as red but oh well.

...

Why do I feel like I'm stalling? I'm literally just walking? Maybe it's a mental, think to myself, word count that I haven't reached yet.

Maybe...

No. That's almost as stupid as America. However did I get this far in life thinking like that?

I end up in the part of the garden with the large fountain. I can see the man I've been looking for this whole time.

Britain. He sort of lies on the marble edge of the fountain, his arm reaching for the floor but not quite reaching it. Part of his jacket, today's colour being a rich navy blue, has clearly slipped into the pond part of the fountain. But he stares up at the sky regardless. It's almost surreal to see any country in such a relaxed position.

I sit down calmly next to him. He looks almost mesmerised by the clouds moving in the sky. I don't think he's even noticed me. That's not like him at all. Maybe he's asleep with his eyes open? I wouldn't be surprised.

"I've been looking everywhere for you," I say with a small chuckle.

Britain looks up at me.

"You have?"

I nod with a smile. Britain blinks at me and sits up, a little bit more of his jacket falling into the fountain as he does.

"What did you need?"

"Well... Ummm- Uh,"

I rub the back of my neck as I try to stammer out an answer.

"I'm doing America's job for him. Better than him, of course,"

Britain tilts his head in confusion.

"Don't look at me like that... It means I didn't explain properly and I hate it,"

Britain shakes his head with a sigh.

"No... What was America meant to do?"

"He's been told by his Government to give you a punishment,"

Britain stares blankly at me for a second before shaking his head.

"That doesn't sound wrong... at all,"

...What does he even mean by that?

"Nevermind. I assume that's what your here for?"

"Sort of," I mutter. I dig into my coat pocket and pull out the gemstone.

"I'm here for a few other reasons as well. Like this gemstone- Does it belong to you? I found it on the floor of my hotel room,"

I hold the gemstone in the palm of my hand and show it to Britain.

"Oh shit... It must've fallen out of my pocket when I left last night,"

I chuckle at Britain's reaction as I hand him the gemstone. He unclips the pin and pins it to his jacket's lapel.

"I've never seen you wear something like that before. Where'd you get it?"

"Oh uhm... Japan gave it to me as a 'late birthday gift',"