Chapter 9

Time skip.
A month later

The air was icy from the falling snow, so cold it seemed to chill me from the inside out. But I couldn't stop here--I kept running through the dark hallway, where the light of the moon couldn't penetrate. The air wafting in from outside was thick with the dizzying scent of blood, mercilessly making my heart race. But I had to run. And run, and run, and run. I was pulled toward whatever lay at the end of this hallway. Once there, I stepped into the room and went to open the closet door. Warm tears flowed from my eyes as I pulled the door open...

Kira
"Ah!"

Wait...was that just a dream? I slowly sat up and looked around, the familiar surroundings slowly coming into focus. My room was filled with the soft light of the morning sun, which pulled me out of my dreams and safely back to reality. I wiped my wet cheeks with the back of my hand as I sat there, trying to figure out my dream. It had been a strange dream, but it had been so vivid and felt so real that my heart was still pounding. It reminded me of the dream I had the first night I'd come to the mansion--my dream that Sebastian said was a warning. I'm sure the reason I had that dream is because... All of a sudden someone knocked on my door, interrupting my thoughts.

Nicholas
"Morning, Kira."

Kira
"Nicholas! What are you doing up so early?"

Nicholas
"You're usually the one who wakes me up, so I decided to return the favor."

"Just let me do something special for you today," he said as he took a step towards me.

Nicholas
"You're leaving the mansion today, after all."

His words made me recall that first night. That bright crescent moon was still fresh and vivid in my mind.

Flashback

Nicholas
"What are you doing there?"

Kira
"...Who's there?" "Pardon. Do you know how to open this door? I'm trying to get back to the musée."

Nicholas
"What's that? 'Get back?' You're not telling me you came through that door?"
Flashback ends

It had been exactly one month since
I'd wandered into this world...and today I would go through that door once again--back home. It's so strange. I've wanted to go home so much, but now that it's here, I don't want to leave everyone. The hand which had protected me that first day here now reached out to comfort me, and tousled my hair.

Kira
"Hey!"

Nicholas
"Don't be sad. Let's spend the rest of your time having fun together."

Kira
"What?"

Nicholas
"Isn't that what you always say? It's better to try to be happy than wallow in sadness. Anyway, let's go.
Everyone's waiting."

Kira
"Okay!"

I spent another peaceful day with the residents, but the moon rose in the sky before knew it.   stood in front of the door which connected these two worlds, with nothing but one bag in my hands.

Arthur
"Are you crying, Newt? Sooo adorable."

Issac
"I'm not crying! You look pretty sad yourself anyway, Arthur."

Lennon
"Heh. Sorry that these guys can't get their acts together even on your last day, cara mia."

I shook my head and smiled. I looked at each one of them in turn, trying to commit their faces to my memory.  To these men who would live for close to eternity, the time they spent with me probably felt like nothing more than an instant. But I would never forget it. Not ever.  I bowed my head deeply or else I knew I would burst into tears.

Kira
I know it was just a short time, but thank you so much for everything you've done for me! Please take of yourselves, everyone..."

Gabriel
"All right. It's time to open the door now."

Le Comte turned the doorknob and slowly opened the door, but...

Gabriel
"...What's going on?"