Chapter 1

Stop glaring at me.

Things have been difficult since I lost my Lola, and I'm still adjusting. Luckily, it's vacation time, so I don't have to think too much about it. Looking at the ceiling of our room makes me feel down, deepening the moments when I was with my Lola. It still hurts me the most. We couldn't spend much time together when she was alive because everyone was so busy. They say you realize the importance of a person when they're no longer with us.

Maraming problema ang bumabagabag sa amin these past few years, at katulad ko, nag-aadjust na rin ang mga tita ko na nakasama ang Lola ko for life. Mahirap pala, 'no? Yung pumunta sa isang lugar kung saan kahit anong tingin mo, andun siya. She owns this house where I am right now. It's Christmas break, that's why I'm here. My Lola always made me feel loved, always.

What I really wanted for my birthday was a simple celebration. Last May, when I turned 15, I stayed here, so I felt her presence before she died. All I wanted was to have a cake on my birthday. But my relatives in Tarlac, who are well-off, couldn't give that to me because they're rich and they didn't cooperate or even confirm their attendance for the party.

"El!" I heard my cousins yelling at me. Maybe it's time to eat.

I didn't say a word. The whole place was noisy as usual, but that's the thing I love about them.

"Uwi kana ba ng Tarlac?" Everyone fell silent, looking at me. Oh, attention was on me.

"Opo, Gusto po kasi akong pauwiin ni Mama para ruon po kami nag celebrate ng New Year," I said, taking a bite of rice. Life is hard here, but I'm happy. I can make it through every day.

"Hayaan muna nag lalambing lang ang Mama mo, New year kasi kaya dapat mag kakasama talaga ang buong pamilya" Tita Alana said, agreeing with point.

"Oo nga po ta, baka next year po dito na talaga ako mag nunew year, sasabihin ko na po kay Mama ngayon pa lang" I said, taking a sip of my coffee.

Dahil nga Ber months sobrang lamig dito sa Nueva Ecija halos asa  boundary na kasi kami ng Aurora kaya ganon. Yung ihip ng hangin dito nakakatakot pag gabi hindi ko alam kung may kasama ng kung ano man.

"El? pahatid kaba kay Tito mo?" Tanong sakin ni Tita Avelyn.

''Hindi na po ta, mamasahe na lang po siguro ako, alam ko na po yun papasundo nalang po ako kay papa sa crossing sa lapaz" sabi ko "Ba't sobrangg lamiggg, di ko kaya!" Hinawakan ang braso yung style na hug ganon.

"Kaya mo na?" Tinaas ni Rayna ang kilay niya, nakababatang pinsan ko.

"Of course! I can, Darling" I also stated, sabay taray sa kaniya, it's a joke we use this as bond. "Tulungan niyo sina Tita dito hah! Nag ligpit na'ko kaya dapat aayusin niyo nalang okay?"

Hindi sila sumasagot as usual, mag lilinis naman yan.

As time passed and the clock struck 4am, the chilly breeze embraced me, signaling the early hours of the morning. It was still dark, and only my aunts and I were awake, experiencing the serene silence that enveloped the surroundings. The absence of raindrops hitting the windows indicated that the weather was calm, and I knew that I would have a smooth journey back home.

I wore a simple pair of pants and a crop top, knowing that I could layer it with a jacket to keep myself warm. The coolness of the air was refreshing against my skin, a reminder of the clamness of this place offered. In the quietude of the early morning, I felt a pang of sadness knowing that I would soon bid farewell to this familiar safe plafe of mine.

I took a moment to savor the gentle caress of the wind against my face, cherishing the sound of the nearby stream, or "sapa" as we called it. The symphony of flowing water provided a sense of comfort and familiarity, a melody that echoed in my heart. This place, with its soothing ambiance and cherished memories, had become my sanctuary over the years.