Chapter Twenty-Four

Valerie

When Luna Lovegood told Valerie she had received a letter she thought it was a joke. Out of all the years she had been at Hogwarts she hasn't received a single one. She was even more surprised to see the letter was from her grandmother, whom she hasn't spoken to since she was eleven. The paper felt smooth to the touch, and delicate golden filigree adorned the edges, adding a touch of grandeur. With bated breath, Valerie carefully opened the envelope, revealing a single sheet of parchment nestled inside. Her grandmother's words, penned in graceful calligraphy, danced across the page.

"Dearest Valerie,

I hope this letter finds you in the utmost of spirits amidst the hallowed halls of your school. The years have seemed interminable without your radiant presence, and my heart yearns to hear of your well-being and progress in your scholarly pursuits. Pray, do apprise me of your welfare, for my thoughts incessantly dwell upon you, my beloved granddaughter. Have you acclimated to the rigors and disciplines of your scholarly residence? I beseech you, dear child, to impart unto me the details of your educational endeavors.Moreover, I long to know of the friendships you have forged within those venerable walls. Tell me my dearest Valerie, is it true that you befriend the grandson of our vile enemy? I sure hope it is not that way. My mind has no knowledge of how my son has raised you, but this family forbids you to do so much as acknowledge that boy. I will surely not endure it and your parents will not either. I trust that amidst your scholastic pursuits, you still cherish the values of this family; as well as your brothers. But let this topic not be the purpose of this letter,although important and certainly urgent. Though distance may momentarily part us, let it be known that the love I hold for you still knows no bounds. You remain the lodestar of my existence, my only granddaughter, one I should be proud of. Therefore, I implore you, dear child, to keep me informed of your trials and triumphs, that I may vicariously share in your journey and offer guidance and solace when needed. I shall anticipate your epistle with great eagerness, for it shall serve as a bridge that connects our words across the expanse of separation. Until then, know that I shall be ever vigilant in my prayers for your prosperity and happiness. And do not forget what I tell you, otherwise we as a family will have to implore measures.

With all the warmth and affection a grandmother can bestow, -Cecilia Aesther.

Valerie's eyes widened at the letter. Though she felt she had been transported into the 18th century, she felt she understood the purpose of the letter. Her parents must have told them about her friendship with Percy. She knew that her family absolutely loathed The Riddles since the beginning of time, but she wasn't going to let that dictate her life. She was going to talk to whoever she wanted to and she wouldn't let her family meddle in between. However, there wasn't much to tell about Percy. Lately he had been distant, and Valerie wasn't sure if she should even call him a 'friend'.

She wrote back to her grandmother, telling her how she was fine, and she was focusing on her studies more than anything, which was totally a lie, but that didn't matter. Just as she was done with the letter a group of girls came into the room boasting about today's Yule ball. The thought of attending the ball filled her with a sense of dread. The idea of dressing up in a lavish gown, mingling with strangers, and pretending to enjoy herself seemed utterly exhausting.

Valerie had never been one for fancy parties and extravagant gatherings. Moreover, Valerie didn't have a date, and the thought of being the odd one out amidst all the couples made her feel even more uncomfortable. And it wasn't like she was picky with guys, but the fact that no one had asked her.

Throughout the day, the anticipation of the event hung in the air, permeating every conversation and captivating the attention of her friends. Even during her classes she had to hear about the importance of the Yule ball and how it was Hogwarts tradition.