Chapter Four

Part of Defense Against the Dark Arts' appeal was hearing of Professor Hecat's own experiences in the field. While she couldn't go into too much detail due to her past as an Unspeakable, she certainly kept Aurora and the other students engrossed. Aurora was sure this year would be no exception as she settled into a seat next to Natty, who smiled kindly at her just as class began.

"Good afternoon," Hecat said, carefully making her way down the stairs from her office. "Congratulations on making it to N.E.W.T. level Defense Against the Dark Arts. I see some rather promising faces here." She winked subtly at Aurora before briskly moving on. "As sixth years, you should expect to learn much more difficult magic that will aid you in whatever you pursue in your years after Hogwarts. Nonverbal spells will play a vital role in your education this year, not only in my class, but others as well. In addition to that, I will warn you... We will be diving into dark magic," Hecat said, her voice low. Aurora glanced around her - Natty nodded at Hecat's words, while other students' eyes were wide like a Mooncalf's. She turned halfway in her seat and saw Ominis shuffle uncomfortably, staring at his wringing hands.

"While I will always be against the use of dark magic, specifically the Unforgivable Curses, it is still wise to understand it in order to fully defend yourselves. However, that will wait until after the holidays. For now, let's review. Up! When have we ever been the kind of class that sits idly while I teach?" A stream of laughter moved through the class as the students pushed away from their desks, excited for something a bit more light-hearted. With a swish of her wand, Hecat moved the desks to the side.

They paired up - Aurora with Natty - and practiced some of the spells they'd learned previously.

"Stupefy!"

"Protego! Levioso!"

"Petrificus Totalus!"

The classroom was alight with jinxes and spells of varying colors as they soared through the room at their targets. Natty fired Rictusempra at Aurora, which she artfully dodged and shot a well-aimed Levicorpus at her friend in return. The blast hit Natty straight in the chest before she swung off the ground, dangling from her right leg. Once she had a moment to soak in what had happened, Natty let out a loud howl of laughter.

"Nicely done!" she grinned. Hecat flicked her wand, returning Natty to her upright position.

"Very well done indeed," Hecat commented, strolling toward them. "The both of you! Impressive skills. Five points to Gryffindor and Hufflepuff."

~.~.~

The first week of classes carried on, only proving to be more difficult. While Aurora had to take care of her Alihotsy plant outside of Herbology, she'd also been assigned several inches of homework in Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions, and Transfiguration. Aurora was relieved that Professor Ronen's only homework for Charms was to brush up on the charms they'd learned previously because, like in most of her other classes, they'd be learning nonverbal spells soon.

Once they were freed from Charms class, Aurora and Poppy agreed to head to the Great Hall for lunch. "So, how many inches in total do you have for homework?" Poppy asked sheepishly.

"About 30. I still can't believe Sharp assigned us 12 inches on the properties of the most useful combat potions." Aurora rolled her eyes before asking Poppy the same.

"I think I'm at 24 inches now between it all, but I've already managed to finish the Beasts homework."

"Of course you have," Aurora said knowingly as she grinned at her friend. The pair sat down to enjoy a meal together before going their separate ways - Poppy to the common room and Aurora to the library.