2.

[Context: This was the aftermath of some kind of superhero/fantasy final battle. It has an ensemble (obviously). There are two main love interests named Anastasia and Galen and it's written from Galen's point of view as she watches the battle come to an end. Anastasia's powers come from the sun and Galen has healing powers. By the end of the battle, they are both very weak. (Not an very happy ending btw, sorry)]

Before we had time to celebrate, a large crack echoed through the ruined streets. From where I was at the top of a mostly-structurally-sound bank, I could tell it came from across the street. I turned my head to the sound's origin and my body went cold.

The news building. Stasia.

I run to the edge of the roof, my eyes scanning like a madman over every visible square inch of the building in search of the golden girl. Eventually, my eyes land on a gaping hole in the side of the building that happens to be eye-level with me. The hole spans at least six stories and allows me to see the many floors of offices and desks that I'm sure were filled with everyday workers only a few hours ago.

That's when my eyes lock with hers. She's standing further back from the hole, I assume in an effort to not fall out. I hear another crack. My terror is confirmed as I glance down and see large chunks falling off the news building.

It's going to collapse.

My throat is still raw from just moments before, but nothing else matters right now. Nothing else but her. I scream for her. Scream for her to do something. To call light and ride away on it. To somehow hold the building up until she's able to safely make her way out. But she is weak. We all are. Even if there was something she could do, she doesn't have the strength.

Our eyes lock. Her golden eyes shimmer, reflecting upon a life not yet lost. The corner of her mouth pulls into a content smile. The same smile she gave me before the fight.

"Everything will be okay."

I willed my feet to leave the roof and take me to her. Allowing me to hold her just one more time. Or better yet, allowing me to grab her and take her away. Take us both far away. Somewhere where nothing could ever touch us. Somewhere where we wouldn't have to be strong. Somewhere we could simply be.

"I promise."

I taste salt. I wasn't even aware I had started crying. My eyes stay on hers. The small smile still on her face. Another crack. Her eyes glance up and around her for a moment before coming back to me. Her lips disappear for a second as she bites down on them, her content disposition faltering only slightly before returning.

BOOM.

Still smiling, I watch her mouth move. It forms three small words. Three small words I hadn't realized I'd so desperately needed. Three small words that made me hate her for not saying them sooner. Three small words that made my heart jump and promptly break.

"I love you."

And then the building fell. I saw her eyes close and her face turn up before my view of her was blocked by falling debris. I let out a sob. My feet start to run. I sprint to the latch on the roof, throwing myself into the building where my feet continue their pace. I hear the building across the street turning to rubble. As I reach the door to the street, the sounds have stilled and only clouds of dust remain.

"Stasia! Stasia, where are you?!" My throat is raw, but I can't stop. I won't. Not until I find her.

I hear the others running to me but my eyes don't leave the pile of rocks in front of me. My hands start viciously digging through the rubble. I can feel the rocks cutting my hands but nothing inside of me cares.

"Stasia!"

"Galen," Dorian starts.

I ignore him and continue digging until strong arms force me to stop.

"Galen!" He pulls me by the arm towards him, grabbing my shoulders, giving me no other choice than to look at him. "She's gone."

"No! No, I can heal her! You just need to help me find her. Please! Please, I," I'm cut off by another sob and Dorian wrapping his arms around me. I melt into his hug for only a second before ripping myself away and returning to the rubble.

"Galen!" Basila shouts after me, but I'm gone.

My hands continue desperately grasping at the rubble. Throwing rocks and broken glass out of my way in order to find some sign that she is in there. Some sign that I help her. My hands bleed on each piece of debris I pick up and I feel the hands of the others prying at me to get me away but I simply tear my arm away and continue digging. The clouds of dust had begun to part, allowing the sun to reenter the scene. Then something caught my eye. The shimmer of gold thread on blue fabric. I stumble over the pile to the cloth and begin digging again.

And then I see her. I cease to feel my heart in my chest as I pull her out from under the ton of rocks that had her pinned. I rest her head in my lap and stare at her face. Caked in mud and sweat. Dried blood around her temple, crusting her hair and turning the sunshine to rust.