The Memories Tied to You

It felt like a blur. One minute he was sat in a hospital bed - his head spinning, body feeling like lead, people around him - bustling around, changing wires checking clipboards - the feeling of pity digging into his skin - and him - a man around his age it seemed, dark raven hair, spiked at the front, expansive forehead - looking at him like he had just told him that he drowned several puppies, whilst laughing.

The face of pure disbelief dawning and colouring his face white - "sorry, but who are you?" he was sure that face would stay permanently etched in his mind and the back of his eye lids. The frantic stuttering when he tried to explain who he was, as he tried to force him to snap out of it- whilst he just steadily got more and more scared and confused.

That man meant something to him it seemed - but he couldn't recall anything - this blurry and forceful wall had seemed to put up in the front of his mind, so he couldn't access anything that had happened before he woke up in hospital. He barely knew who he was - or when it was. Once that man realised that he wasn't pulling his leg - he sped out - and when he came back, an army of doctors and nurses were behind him.

He was then given a crash course in what the date was, who he was - and what he did.

It was January 15th 2020. His name was Declan Donnelly - he was 45 years old. His birthday was the 25th September 1975, and he worked as a TV presenter, working as a double act. He had two dogs - a sausage dog called Rocky and a chocolate Labrador called Hurley - in which he got in 2013. He was in a relationship with the person he worked with in the double act - he had been with them since 1994 - and that was who that man was.

Anthony McPartlin was his name.

And he had no idea who he was.

It had been a lot to take in - a bit too much, granted - he barely could repeat what was just steadily relayed back to him. Sitting in his hospital room - feeling more awake and alert, as he fiddled with the blanket in front of him. Famous? It had been a dream when he was younger, I mean everyone dreamt of that, but he actually did it? He'd have to see it to believe it.

He lifted his head, albeit a bit slowly, in fear of aggravating the headache that had taken a backseat at the moment- to see that same man from before - Anthony - looking all the colour of sheepish, he gave a small smile, awkward a small - as he shuffled in. The man walked slowly through the room and placed himself down on the chair next to his bed - where Dec had found him sleeping hours beforehand.

"How're you feeling?" he questioned, tired eyes holding his - hope clear in them.

"I've been better, like '' he answered stiffly - "you? No offence but you look knackered, mate" he let himself smile once he saw the taller man's corner of his lips tug slightly.

"Aye, bet i do - just a long day," he justified, and a beat of silence - as the man's - Anthony's - knee hadn't stopped twitching, up and down, up and down - Declan let out a shaky sigh.

"Um, Anthony?" he started, name unfamiliar - but familiar at the same time - Anthony's head snapped up - "you can call us Ant," he interrupted, in which Declan nodded,

"I'm sorry - i really am," he started, guilt latching in his stomach as he felt a horrible lurch in his chest and head - Anthony - Ant's - eyebrows furrowed, as he looked at him confused, clearly stating he wasn't following, "for not remembering you - i'm trying - it's just, every time i do - it's just blank, and-"

"Don't be daft!" he interrupted, eyes blazing with some sort of protective nature, "it aint your fault, pet! I don't blame youse...i know you're tryin'" he started, cheeks flushing - in embarrassment at his instant response - "we'll get your memories back, love - Decs -" he paused, sighing in defeat.