Edgar's Cabin 1

Lush land spread as far as the eyes could see

Lush land spread as far as the eyes could see. Large herds of livestock roamed about, shaking up the dirt. A group of curious cows and sheep gathered by the broken fence. One poked its head in, investigating the strange man on the ground.

"Moo!" It said.

"Goddamn it..." Edgar turned around to the clueless animal who was sniffing his loose wires.

The cow sniffed a few times before eagerly chewing on the bundle of red-and-blue plastic 'grass'. It must be satisfying as the cow slowly became oblivious to the man.

Edgar exhaled and turned back toward his cabin. He pressed himself as flat as he could to the ground. Tall grass provided some needed cover, but Edgar must move. Soon.

A mysterious sweet smell swelled in the damp air, mixing with the helicopter's exhaustion. It irritated Edgar's nostrils.

He held back a wicked sneeze with all his might. Sweat prickled Edgar's body. His heart beat harder than a bass drum.

Maybe I could take them down.

Edgar imagined himself creeping up on the nameless, faceless trespassers before knocking the wind out of them.

Stop being delusional! They are here. You're done.

Edgar gnawed at his lower lip. He had expected this day forever, but it felt unreal now. The truck was in the shed behind the cabin. It would take Edgar about ten minutes to crawl there. Then another minute or two to start. The noise would draw them over, but by then, he would already be out on the dirt road, never looking back. They would open fire at him, but he could be fast...

"Are you sure he's still here? The place looks deserted to me..."

"I'm sure. His truck is still here."

"I mean, he could've left on foot."

"Damn flies everywhere!"

"No jokes, Dad. The whole place stinks of cow dung."

"I think you just stepped on something..."

A group of people emerged from behind the cabin and marched to Edgar's front door. Five total, four men and one woman.

Robert looked exactly the same as the last time Edgar had seen him. On edge. The guy had a depressing aura that rivaled Edgar's. Maybe that was why they could become friends. Or maybe that was another delusion.

Robert might wear the same outfit as the last time, too, but Edgar wasn't sure. That was also besides the point. Edgar just couldn't understand why Robert decided to show up here again after all these years. With these strangers.

He knew better than that.

Unless he sold me out.

Edgar touched the handle of his knife on the utility belt. The thought of Robert's possible betrayal left an acidic taste in his mouth. Edgar should not have left the gun on the kitchen counter this morning. He didn't like the thing, but having it now would make a life-or-death difference.