Chapter 1: Escape

"Something is coming.... Something hungry for blood."

Four boys were gathered around the table in the basement of a house. One of them was situated behind a cover as they played Dungeons and Dragons.

"A shadow grows on the wall behind you, covering you in darkness." The first boy, Mike Wheeler spoke ominously. Another boy, Dustin Henderson, had wiped his nose while the third, Lucas Sinclair had narrowed his eyes. "It.... Is almost here."

"What is it?" The fourth boy in the middle, Will Byers, asked.

Dustin had turned to his friends nervously. "What if it's the Demogorgon?" He asked them. "Oh Jesus we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgon." He remarked in a panicked state. Will leaned back timidly.

Lucas groaned at his friend's antics. "It's not the Demogorgon." He firmly stated.

"An army of Troglodytes charge into the chamber!" Mike announced, dropping the pieces onto the table.

Dustin's look of worry shifted into one of confusion. "Troglodytes?" He questioned.

Lucas leaned back into his chair with a smirk. "Told ya!" He said as him and Will chuckled whereas Dustin snorted. Mike noticed their rather upbeat demeanors so he decided to change that.

"Wait a minute.... Do you hear that?" He asked, listening in. Making their smiles drop slowly. "Boom... Boom... Boom... Boom!" He shouted, startling the kids. "That didn't come from the Troglodytes, no that.... That came from something else." He stated and the others watched on in anticipation.

"It came from the Demogorgon!" He spoke as he slammed the piece onto the table. The others groaned immediately.

"We're in deep shit!" Dustin rubbed his forehead as he worried.

"Will your action!" Mike pressed him.

However all the pressure seemed to be getting to him. "I don't know!" He freaked.

"Fireball him!" Lucas told him.

Will shook his head anxiously. "I'd have to roll a thirteen or higher!" He stated.

"Too risky, cast protection." Dustin advised.

Lucas didn't seem to agree with that suggestion however. "Don't be a pussy fireball him!"

"Cast protection!" Dustin said as they went back and forth.

Mike slammed the table, increasing their anxiety. "The Demogorgon grows tired of your silly human bickering! He stomps towards you! Boom!" He shouts.

"Fireball him!"

"Cast protection!"

"Boom! He roars in anger!" They all clamored and in the moment Will began to jiggle the dice in his hand.

He thrust the dice forward letting it free from his hand. "Fireball!" He lout a mighty shout, but in all the chaos the dice had rolled off.

"Oh shit!"

"Where'd it go! Where is it?!"

"I don't know!"