Chapter 1

A/N: I really wanted to finish this short story before Tanabata but it turned out to be longer than I planned. It won't be a oneshot either. Was supposed to be one originally but it couldn't fit what I wanted in it so I'll split it into a few chapters. Hope you guys will like this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Once upon a time, there were two people living up in the heavenly kingdom. One was Princess Orihime, the daughter of the Sky King Tentei, a beautiful seamstress who worked hard every day, weaving clothes by the Amanogawa – the sky river. The other one was Hikoboshi, a cowherder who spent his days working hard by the opposite shore of the river. Tentei, noticing the despair of his daughter over never meeting anyone to fall in love with, introduced the two of them. The couple fell in love at first sight, getting married soon after.

But after that, things have changed. Both the newlyweds suddenly neglected their duties and spent all of their time only with each other. Disappointed and angry, the king of the heavens separated the lovers once more by the river of stars and forbade them from meeting ever again. Orihime pleaded with her father to take back his decision and he, moved by her tears and love for Hikoboshi, promised to let them meet again on the 7th day of the 7th month if she worked hard again and finished the work she had been given.

And she did just that, yet when the time finally came to meet, they found no bridge for them to cross over the river. Orihime, devastated, started crying, thinking she could never be close to her love again. But then, a flock of magpies heard her cries and came to her, making a bridge of their wings over the Amanogawa so the two could hold each other once more.

And just like this, they have met every year since then. Only when it rains, the magpies cannot come all the way up and the lovers have to wait another year to see each other again.

---

The moonlight was silver and bright, making everything cast dark and sharp shadows onto the ground despite it being nighttime. The breeze was warm and soft, like a gentle caress, making leaves and grass rustle quietly in the soft silence of a summer night. It was peaceful, like a scene imagined in a poem, a man and a woman facing each other on top of a grassy hill behind town. They could see each other perfectly fine thanks to the full moon shining above their heads, like star-crossed lovers they gazed into each other's eyes, both looking for something deep in the other's soul. An answer to a question, the truth of the world or maybe, they were just staring at the stars reflected on the shiny surface of their irises.

"Please... At least... tell me your name..." she whispered.

Back propped up against the bark of an old oak tree, she was sitting on the ground and looking up at him who stood in front of her, ethereal, nearly black and white in the magical light of the night.

"What will it change?" he asked, voice flat, cold, yet not entirely emotionless.

Standing alone in the field, out of reach of the tree's branches, feeling so far from her now, yet just a few steps and he could touch her. But he remained standing still, not approaching, as he watched the sky river reflected in her eyes. A pained and regretful smile slowly took over her lips.

"Perhaps nothing... But- I still want to know."

She also made no move to come closer to him. The small distance in between them seemed endless, one that could never be crossed. She was somehow different from others, he knew that deep inside. He just didn't know what exactly it was about her that made her so unlike everyone else. To anyone other, he wouldn't reveal it in this situation but to her... he wanted to tell her for some reason. For some reason, this moment seemed special.