Man With The Strange Mask

I woke up on the floor, my body aching from the ridiculous position I had slept in. I was still wearing my work clothes, now wrinkled and disheveled. Gazing at the clock above my nightstand table, my heart skipped a beat as it screamed back at me in huge, bold letters, painfully pointing out the fact that I was late.

I didn't bother washing up. There was no time, not enough to even allow my nerves to take hold of me. I sprayed myself with my strongest perfume, grabbed some chewing gum on the way, and rushed to work, praying I hadn't forgotten anything important.

I arrived at work roughly thirty minutes past my call time, soon realizing that I had indeed forgotten something important - my phone. It most likely stayed left behind on my bedside rug near all the other items I dropped down yesterday.

I looked a mess, feeling worse than after a late party hangover, clutching at straws to keep myself together. This day wasn't going great for sure, and it felt like it couldn't get any worse.

On my way, slowly heading over to my workroom, I got stopped and held back by my boss calling out my name. His voice, usually calm, had an edge of urgency to it that made my heart quicken. I turned, trying to suppress the visible distress on my face as I met his concerned gaze.

"Y/N, come to my office! I need to speak with you for a minute," he said in a stern yet strangely kind voice, gesturing for me to follow him.

Convinced I must have gotten myself in real trouble this time, I followed him, shyly entering his office behind him, my nerves escalating with each step.

I braced myself for a lecture, fully aware of my unusually erratic behavior, when his tone softened unexpectedly. "Y/N, are you sure you're alright? You haven't been yourself these last couple of days," he said, taking a step forward, his gaze fixated on me, watching my every move as if searching for answers in my expression.

"Y-Yeah... I'm okay." I stammered in an embarrassingly unconvincing tone.

"Hmm... I've been keeping an eye on you since yesterday, and you really don't seem to be yourself. It's not my intention to pry into your personal affairs, but it's my responsibility to maintain a productive and safe work environment. Your recent mistakes and tardiness are unusual for you. There must be a valid reason for this, right?"

I hung my head, contemplating what to say. I didn't want to lie, but explaining the truth seemed daunting. Revealing my quirk was out of the question, meaning I couldn't disclose the hero I saved. I had no clue about the three attackers or if I was their target. The situation spiraled, but I felt compelled to handle it alone. Contacting my family wasn't an option; my mother would surely overreact. The cards weren't in my favor, but I had to play my role effectively.

"I guess... it's just that I've been dealing with insomnia lately, so I'm feeling a bit worn out," I explained, offering a cautious smile. "Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again."

He stood in silence for a moment, his tall stature looming over me, making me feel small. His piercing yellow eyes seemed to cut right through me, as if he could discern the truth behind my words.

"Very well then. I'll take your word for it," he sighed, his troubled expression still evident. "Since you're here, I need you to organize that stack of documents on my desk. I have urgent business to attend to, but I'll be back shortly." Sir Nighteye gestured towards a neatly arranged pile of papers beside his computer before striding down the hallway and out of sight.

I nodded, making my way to his desk and carefully placing my belongings on a nearby chair. The day was set to be a long one, but at that moment, I didn't particularly mind. Feeling relieved to have escaped a more severe reprimand, I delved into the task at hand.