sixteen.

"You sure you don't want me to come?"

   I nod, fiddling with the hem of my sweatshirt, "yeah- I- no I'll be fine. Just wait here."

   I leave JJ and start towards the entrance to Tanny Hill, my stomach swirling. Right before I reach the door Topper comes storming out, apparently so frustrated that he almost doesn't see me.

   "Catalina? What're you doing here?"

   I shrug, "um nothing much," I try and think of an excuse, "John B lives here now so..."

   Topper scoffs, "of course he does."

   We stand in silence for a moment before he runs a hand down his face, "listen I'm sorry, you know about the Pope thing. It went too far and got out of hand."

   I nod, "well...sorry about Sarah. I know you really liked her."

   He shakes his head, "it doesn't matter. See you around I guess."

   He starts down the path again and I press a mental pause. What just happened? I actually had a regular conversation with Topper.

   Wow.

   I shake my head clear of thoughts (it doesn't work) and start towards the door again. Luckily for me, Sarah and Ward are already both at the doorway.

   Ward's eyes widen, "Lia? W-What're you doing here?"

   Sarah quickly wipes her eyes and plasters on a fake smile, "Hey Lia!"

   I pick at my fingernails, "um, by any chance did you have another daughter? Maybe one who happened to be...me?"

* * *

   God I wish JJ had come in with me.

   After my question/confession Ward called a Cameron family meeting and apparently that includes, or formerly included, me. He explained everything.

   He had an affair, I was born, his wife before Rose wanted me gone, he gave me away.

   Pretty simple actually.

   Now I'm sitting across from my siblings.

   Sarah is absolutely beaming, as is Wheezie (which is actually short for Louisa, fun fact), and Rafe is...nowhere to be found.

   Sarah sighs, "I've missed you so much. When you came to school freshman year I was so happy and thought we could be friends... anyway, I'm glad you're back."

   Wheezie nods, "maybe you'll be a better sister than," she motions to Sarah. The two begin to bicker and I let out a small laugh.

   I slowly stand from the table, "I've got somewhere to be but, maybe we can hangout, should be pretty easy since John B..."

   Sarah nods.

   Ward stands, "I'll walk you to the door."

   We exit the room together and he walks me to the front door before speaking, "it's great having you back. I can have everything arranged to have you home by-"

   "What?" I gape at him, "I'm sorry but I'm not coming to live with you guys. I have a dad and a home. I'd be happy to visit and I would love to get to know you all but..."

   Ward's face falls, "of course, whatever you want. If you ever need anything, you can come here."

   I smile, "Thanks...Ward?"

   He chuckles, "that's fine."

   I nod and start down the path, rushing toward where JJ is waiting on his bike. His head perks when he hears me coming, "how'd it go?"