9

A chicken funeral. Probably something most people would not make an appearance to, but when Samantha Mae asks you to join her at the docks in memoriam of Big Ben the rooster, you go. She had them all go to the dock about 2 hours after the whole house ransacking, giving them all enough time to process what had happened. Small white flowers that Sam and Kiara had picked from the lawn covered the end of the dock where everyone stood.

      "To the best rooster who woke us all up at 6 am everyday. I'm sorry we had to kill you or else we would all be dead. Or kidnapped. Or in the two guys basement tied up being kept for ransom." The other 4 teens all looked at eachother with confused faces, but remainded silent. "We hope you eat lots of seeds and pieces of bread in chicken heaven." She then had John B and Pope put the deceased bird into the ocean with more flowers. They watched as it slowly went out to sea, saying their last goodbyes.

      "That was perfect," JJ whispered to her while putting his arm around her. She laid her head on his shoulder before John B spoke up.

      "Meet in Twinkie in 5." was all he said before going inside. Pope and Kiara stared at each other before rolling their eyes and walking to the van. The two blondes remained on the dock before eventually leaving and heading to the house.

      "Do you think he will be ok tonight? Like when we all go home?" Sam asked JJ as they walked. "I mean I wouldn't be able to sleep, not that I sleep a lot anyway. Should we stay here with him? Maybe he would like that? Or maybe he wants to be alone-"

      "He's gonna be okay," JJ spoke softly grabbing both her hands. "I'll ask him if he wants us here or not tonight, okay?" She looked into her big brown eyes, watching all the gears slow down in her brain.

"Yeah okay, that sounds good." She replied and continued to the van.

The group collected in Twinkie, and began the drive to who knows where. John B drove as he always does, with Kiara in the front, followed by Pope, JJ, and Sam in the back. Pope examined the compass as it dangled from his fingers.

"Maybe it leads us to the buried treasure?" Sam spoke up suddenly. "I mean what else would Scooter have it for, everyone has a phone and phones have built in compass's."

"Maybe Big John let him borrow it?" Pope replied, looking in John B's direction.

"A family heirloom? What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me." John B stated, looking over at Kie. JJ and Sam look at each other then Pope, unsure of how to respond.

Kie, finding herself the only one brave enough speak up, tried to reason with the boy, "I mean, yeah, it's possible." Sam could hear the nervousness in her voice, none of them wanting to upset John B more.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help," Pope paused, "deal with your sad feels." Causing Kiara and Sam to roll their eyes. Pope isn't exactly the best person to include in conversations when someone is extremely emotional. And dumb. Both being John B in this moment.

"If he knew it would get back to you why wouldn't he just give it to you before he-" Sam quickly stopped herself as she realized she was speaking without thinking. "Before he disappeared." She slowly looked up towards John B who continued to stare at the roads. JJ nudged her shoulder with his and mouthed, "it's ok", sensing she began to feel nervous that she upset the brunette boy.

Attempting to relieve the tension JJ began his rambling. "Bro you know how I process my sad feels, dank nugs, and the stickiest of ickies." He smiled.

"Yeah and i watch How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days with Kiara while eating ice cream," Sam said, giving her own example.

"Look I'm not concocting ok? My dad's trying to give me a message." John B was not gonna back down, and everyone knew it. Sam laid her head on JJ's shoulder, wishing the day would just end already.

"I wanna go home and shower. I feel disgusting." She whispered to JJ.