The Portrait

A/N: Hello ghesties! It's been a while. I have been busy writing the new story which to my dismay is nowhere near done. But to tide you all over until then I've decided to make a one-shot book so if you'd like to send me a request I will write and post them here for you all. To kick it all off we have our first one-shot for Gh3stie. I hope you enjoy this! -Cumulus

Brother Aspen's POV

It was a beautiful day in Meliora. The church of Ghost had been thriving since the Cardinal had been appointed Papa. The sounds of melodic choir singing filled the corridors. It was peaceful. Brothers and Sisters of sin walked alongside the Ghouls, going to work preparing for the celebration of our new Papa.

I took a long walk through the church grounds carrying my art supplies to get in some morning painting hoping to capture the first morning light. I travelled through the garden and down to the small pond. The birds chirped and the bees were harvesting nectar for their hives. It was beautiful. It was like the most dream.

I set up my easel hoping to paint the birds and the trees and pond. Taking a deep breath I begin. Different shades of brown and green and blue mix together to create a glimpse into my tiny piece of paradise here.

-a few hours later-

I was putting the finishing touches on my work when the crunching of the grass and rustle of the leaves shook me out of my creative haze. Turning slightly I look behind me to see Papa Emeritus IV standing and gazing curiously at my work.

"Good morning Papa, my apologies I'll get out of your way," I say bowing slightly in respect before turning and beginning to put away tools.

"Good morning Aspen. Do not leave on my account. I was taking a stroll and saw you over here and I grew curious. May I take a look?" He asks questionably, gesturing to the canvas.

I nodded confident of my work and never one to shy away from my abilities I offered him a closer look. leaning in closer, his eyes lingering on the canvas as if entranced. I notice a faint smile playing on his lips, a hint of appreciation in his gaze.

"Truly Brother Aspen, you have a gift. Have you ever painted a portrait of someone?" He asked, never taking his eyes off mine. He held my gaze a moment longer than some would consider necessary and his voice had an ever so slight teasing tone to it. I blush lightly "I have done a few your dark excellency. Is there something you require?" I ask putting my paints and brushes away into my little bag and then standing straight to look at him.

"Well, you see, since I have now been ordained Papa it is required I have a portrait made to join the others in the family gallery. Would you be up for this task?" Papa asks, smiling fully at me.

"It would be an honour, sir. But it may take hours if not days if you want it to be amazing and I'd need you to sit for me until it is done." I say making sure he realises this is a long commitment on both our parts.

He nods grinning and claps his hands. "Brother Aspen, with your brush, you have the power to capture not just the likeness, but the very essence of your subjects. I wonder what secrets you'll unveil in my portrait. Meet me in the library this afternoon. 2 pm sharp" he says as he walks off towards the ministry with a skip in his step.

Smiling, I shake my head at his carefree attitude. If only everyone could take life a little less seriously like him.

-The library 1.55 pm-

I stood in the library preparing my tools. My easel was set up and a chair was placed in the centre of the room behind it. I rearranged it a few times making sure the lighting was correct before Papa Emeritus IV arrived.