25. Promises

"No....no.... Jake... Please don't close your eyes. Dad call the ambulance, hurry up!" Then Jake's mom kneeled next to Jake, crying. "I'm so sorry, Jake. Please don't leave us."

(In the Hospital)

The doctors have operated on him already but he's still in bad condition. They said that the kidney was damaged and the survival rate for him was so low, so we should be ready for the worst.

"Mom, I can't lose him. I love him so much. Mom, what should I do to make sure he's gonna live? Mom, please tell me. I can't imagine a day without him." I desperately cried to my mother.

"Sorry, my love. All we need to do is trust him. He's strong. He's gonna come back."

I was looking at him through the clear window. Seeing him lying on the bed with all those machines attached to his body was just killing me. It should have been me. Why does he always have to be heroic? Seeing him like this is far worse than being stabbed myself. I would trade anything so we can exchange positions.

"Mom...mom, why does his heart monitor look like that?" I asked my mom.

I saw my mom gasp, and then soon she's crying. "Mom...mom...why are you crying?" Shit, don't tell me.

Soon the doctors used this machine that you know that revives people, I think it's called defibrillators. I can't hear what they're saying, but I knew that they were panicking based on their actions and their facial expression. I was looking back and forth from the monitor and Jake's body. Then the monitor just showed a flatline which means... no....no.... Then the doctor stopped. I was knocking at the window, telling them not to stop.

"No... no... don't stop." My mom was just hugging me and crying at the same time.

"Sunghoon, you have to calm down." my mom tried to calm me down.

"I saw the doctor looked at his watch. He was about to say something but I quickly ran inside the room."

"Mr. Park, you're not allowed in here."

"I'm the President's son." I usually don't use that to intimidate people, but I don't have any choice.

"We are very sorry, Mr. Park, but...."

"No...no... let's still use the machine. Save him. He said he's going to come back with me. He said to trust him that I won't lose him. He's not dead!!!! He's just resting, and soon he'll wake up. He promised me. Jake, you promised me." I cried uncontrollably, and soon my dad came and back hugged me.

"Enough, my prince," he whispered to me.

"No dad... no.. I won't let him go. I love him so much."

"Sorry, Mr. President," the doctor said. Then I saw my dad nod.

"Dad, please no...." I think I can't handle it. I felt like dying too.

"Time of death: 9:00 AM, July 24th, 2023."

I fell down on my knees while crying. This isn't happening. The future I have envisioned for both of us was gone. We've been only together for a short time; why does life have to be this unfair to me....to us.

My dad helped me stand up. "Come on, my Prince. You need to be strong for Jake. You have to say your goodbye."

I looked at his face. He looked like he's only sleeping. He's still the most handsome.

"We're going out, Sunghoon; we'll just wait outside." My dad said.

I nodded. "Thank you, dad." Soon I was left with him.

"Yah bear. How dare you break your promise? You said I'm not gonna lose you. You said you'll come back to me. I guess you're not really good at promises." I touched his face. "Thank you so much for everything. Thank you for saving my life. Thank you for making me happy and for loving me. I don't think I will be the same Sunghoon now that you're gone. I'll see you on the other side, Jakey."

...
~:(~