207. Meeting the Chosen One

When Sadie sat down across from her aunt with her cup of tea, she was unsurprised to see that horrible look on her aunt's face that she had come to know only too well. Pity. She hated it, hated the sight of it, but worse, she hated how it made her feel.

Setting down her cup a little harsher than she intended, she asked, "What are you doing up?"

"Waiting for Arthur," Molly explained. "He's been working late all week."

Glancing at the clock, Sadie was shocked to see it was nearly midnight. Working late was one thing, but working until midnight was something else entirely.

"Hopefully he'll be home soon," Sadie said, shifting slightly in her seat as she took another sip of tea.

"And you know, of course, that Harry's coming in the morning too," Molly said, sounding slightly anxious. "We'll really be a full house then with Thea, Hermione, and Fleur here as well."

"Seems like it," Sadie agreed, if only for something to say. Finally, however, she said, "I'm returning to work in two days."

Molly jerked in surprise.

"What?" she said. "But I thought-"

"Aunt, I can't just say here curled in a corner for the rest of my life," Sadie sighed. "I've stayed too long already. They need me, now more than ever."

"But Sadie, are you sure that-"

"Molly, I'm on training detail now. I haven't been assigned a real mission in a year," Sadie interrupted harshly. "They need someone who knows what it's like to face real Dark Wizards, especially with Voldemort-" Molly flinched "-on the loose."

"Well, yes, I-I suppose so," Molly stuttered. "But only if you're sure, dear."

"I'm sure," Sadie said firmly. "I've already written in."

"Well, all right then," Molly said, sounding ruffled. "But-"

Before she could finish, however, three knocks sounded on the front door. Instantly, Sadie jumped to her feet, pointing her wand at the door, thousands of potential spells dancing on the tip of her tongue.

"Who's there?" Molly called shakily. "Declare yourself!"

"It is I, Dumbledore, bringing Harry," a calm voice replied.

Molly jumped forward to open it, but a warning look from Sadie stopped her in her tracks.

"What was the first thing Sadie Moore-Weasley said to you during her time at Hogwarts," Sadie demanded, her voice unquivering.

Dumbledore said nothing for a moment before he said, "That is a trick question, Sadie. This is the first time you've ever openly addressed me."

Sadie nodded to Mrs Weasley who instantly opened the door as Sadie lowered her wand, keeping a tight grip on it.

"Harry, dear!" Molly exclaimed, addressing the tall and thin boy with Dumbledore. "Gracious, Albus, you gave us a fright. You said not to expect you before morning!"

"We were lucky," Dumbledore said, ushering Harry inside. "Slughorn proved much more persuadable than I had expected. Harry's doing, of course. Hello, Sadie."

Sadie said nothing, taking another sip of her tea as she eyed the two of them curiously.

"I should-" she began quickly as the silence was drawn out.

"Just a moment," Dumbledore said. "I would like to speak with you."

Sadie, although Harry thought she looked extremely reluctant, nodded.

"I shall see you at Hogwarts, Harry," Dumbledore said. "Take care of yourself. Molly, your servant."

And with a small bow to Mrs Weasley, he left, giving Sadie an expectant look. She sighed, following him out the door and into the warm night.

When the door had shut behind them, Harry asked, "Mrs Weasley, who was that?"

"My niece," Molly explained with a small smile. "Sadie Moore-Weasley. Her mother is - or, rather was - Arthur's sister."

.

Sadie crossed her arms over her chest, keeping her gaze fixed on the ground as she waited to hear what Dumbledore had to say.

He was quiet a moment before he finally began, "I must, of course, first begin with condolences."

"Save your condolences," Sadie said quietly. "I've seen enough pity to last me a lifetime."

"Then, I will ask you what I need to," Dumbledore resumed. "Do you know who killed them?"

Sadie shook her head, explaining, "I didn't know her. But she was tall, slender...she had white hair."

Dumbledore's head jerked slightly.

"White hair?" he repeated.

"Yes," Sadie said, her brows furrowed. "Why-"

"I must go," Dumbledore said, quickly turning before he stopped again. "Sadie, I must warn you that you are in significant danger. From my understanding, Voldemort has great interest in seeing you either dead or in his ranks. Take absolutely no unnecessary risks."

Then without another word, he was gone.

When Sadie returned to the house, she just caught Molly's voice as she said, "Rufus Scrimgeour has set up several new offices in respect to the present situation, and Arthur's heading the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects. It's a big job, he's got ten people reporting to him now!"

But she did not stop to listen as she made her way upstairs and back to bed where she instantly turned, facing the wall as she listened to the sound of soft, quiet breathing around her.