2

"Okay sweetie, I'm just going to do a quick check on you, okay? It's just a quick in and out," The gloves rolled onto Julie's hands with a light snap. "-nothing to be afraid of. I just need to check and see how dilated you are."

Slowly, the girl nodded, her eyes lasered to Julie.

The newly pregnant Mom sat on the examination table. Her hospital gown was donned, and her legs were pulled up, spread-eagle.

The look on the girl's face was nervous. One hand was lightly rubbing on her large belly, while the other was tightly gripping the hand of her husband-to-be.

They were both an extremely young couple. Couldn't be older than high-school age. Unlike most couples their age, however, their parents were nowhere in sight.

But it wasn't her place to judge. In the small farming town of Pack Pleasant, nothing was more common than teenage pregnancies and DUI's.

The only thing that concerned Julie was the fact that the boyfriend signed the liability forms. The fact that he was able to do so was...

...interesting.

But again, it wasn't her place to judge.

The HIPPA form she signed prohibited her from speaking out.

She walked over to the girl, gently re-positioning her legs for easier access. She bent down a little to get a clear view.

"Will it hurt?" The girl asked, her voice small and mousey.

"No honey, I swear. It might be a little weird, and you might feel some pressure, but it shouldn't hurt at all."

"Shouldn't?" The girl repeated. Her eyes were a little wide, her eyebrows drawing up.

Julie tried to give her the best tired smile she could manage. "You'll be okay. On the count of three okay?"

The girl nodded.

"Okay, one...two...thr-"

As gently as she could, Julie inserted two fingers into her cervix-

-she could feel the girl jump a little-

-then she withdrew them.

"--three. Okay, all done! See? That wasn't so bad."

"I guess..." The girl said.

Immediately Julie went over to the sink, throwing her gloves into the trashcan before washing. "You're about four centimeteres dilated. Because this is your first pregnancy it might take a little while to for it to progress. I definitely suggest getting some sleep, food and water in that time-"

Julie turned back around to face the girl while drying her hands with the paper towel. "--is there anything that you want from the dining hall?"

"Um...maybe a bag of pretzels and a coke?"

Julie gave her another smile. "Great," she turned her attention to the fiance. "-and you?"

He shook his head-one of his hands still holding the girl's-the other waving her off to say, I'm okay, thanks.

"Awesome. I'll be right back with the pretzels and coke." She gave them a thumbs up before exiting the room.

As soon as the door closed behind her, she gave out a small sigh.

The walk to the dining hall was slow. She took the time to stretch different parts of her body as she walked, eventually swinging her id badge in boredom. The hallway was dimmed and quiet, with most of the patients attended to for the night.

If she wasn't so used to the environment, she'd think it was a little creepy.

She scanned her badge, tapping her foot as the automatic doors slowly opened.

Per usual, the dining hall was empty. Most patients were either fast asleep in their rooms or watching TV around that time of night.

The hot food bar was closed for the night, the gate for the window locked shut.

Julie took her time strolling to the snack rack across the cafeteria, grabbing the girl's pretzels and coke. She grabbed a mountain dew for herself as well, before she made the treck back to the room.

Then her phone went off. Fuck You by CeeLeo Green started echoing in the quiet halls.

Diane.

As fast as she could, she fumbled around for it, clumsily adjusting the snack and drinks in her arms.

"What's up?" Her phone was pressed between her cheek and shoulder, her arms full with items.

"Hey, I just got an update from Marie-"

Finally.

"--there was an incident involving her dad's tractor. She broke her arm falling off of it, so she'll be out of the running for a while."

Julie's stomach dropped.

"How long?" She asked.

"Probably around six weeks for it to heal. I don't know when she'll be back on shift though-that's mostly up to her. And John."

"Well who's gonna be replacing her?"

"Isn't that what you're for?"

Julie scowled into the phone, her eyes glaring at a random spot on the wall. "No, Diane. I'm here to cover for a shift. One. I'm already filled to the brim with eight patients. I cannot take on hers too."

Reluctantly, she could hear Diane sigh into the phone. "I thought you'd say that-"

-bitch.

"--I'll look for a replacement. We don't have a lot to cover, but I'll have John figure something out."

Julie couldn't stop her tone from being a little clipped. "Great. Thanks."

"Alright, talk later."

"Bye."

She could hear the click of the phone line shutting off from Diane's end. Julie took a moment to continue staring into the wall, her eyebrows drawn, slowly doing breathing exercises.

In and out.

In and out.

Everything was going to be fine.

John was going to find a replacement. Things would be fine. They'll have someone to cover Marie's shift. They weren't going to push more patients onto her-she'll make sure of that.

Diane was going to continue to be a bitch-but hey, what else was new?

Hopefully nothing else.

It was all going to be fine.

Slowly, with way less pep-in-her-already-tired-step, she walked back to her young patient's room.

She knocked quietly, then she cracked the door open. The light in the room had been turned off since the time she left, but the girl was still awake, her attention focused on the spongebob playing on the TV mounted in the corner.

"Hey, I have your snacks." Julie whispered quietly, not wanting to disturb the atmosphere.

The girl-Ana-gave her a small smile, her hand out-stretched, ready to take them from her.

She handed her the snacks and then quietly tiptoed back to the door.

One of the last things she noticed before she left the room was the fiance asleep in the one of the chairs, his arms crossed together defensively.

Julie tried to ignore her older sister instincts.

A quiet mantra played in her head.

HIPPA.

HIPPA.

HIPPA.

She was not going to get involved. Not again.

Then the door quietly clicked shut.