In the Shadow of Invitation

"Why do I get the sense that you got no sleep last night- wait let me guess, it's the yawning."

Ominis just earned the biggest side eye you had given him in the history of your friendship. Luckily for him, he couldn't see it. If he had, he wouldn't still have that stupid grin on his face. Charms class had emptied out and you knew that now was the time to get more information out of him.

"Oh I don't know," you fired back, "maybe the fear of getting ambushed by a quidditch captain asking for my hand to the ball kept me up."

You knew that wasn't true. Ominis was your friend, and you had both been through a lot together. If he knew how hurt you were last night, he would not hesitate to say something to Sebastian. That would be even more embarrassing than how you acted while leaving the Great Hall.

"Speaking of," you continued, "I need to know everything you know. Dates, times, plans, you name it."

Ominis leaned back in his desk chair while folding his arms behind his head. You stood in front of his desk, arms crossed and attempting to at least make it look like you had any sliver of control over the situation. Despite Ominis's inability to see, he had other ways of being able to sense what was happening in the world around him. Right now, he was clearly amused by how stressed a silly little ball was making you.

"I'd tell you if I knew, I honestly would. But alas, I have no further information to give you."

"You're lying." He wouldn't have mentioned it at dinner last night if he didn't know more.

"And if I was? What would you give me for the truth?" You wanted to singe his stupid faux-surprised raised eyebrows off with confringo.

You sighed and pulled some galleons from your pocket.

"Friends shouldn't have to pay each other for information, you know." Damn Slytherins and their ability to seize an opportunity for their own gain. You knew Ominis was just being cheeky about the whole thing. He would've told you everything he knew eventually without paying a fee, but you felt desperate to know sooner rather than later.

Ominis pocketed the coins. He repositioned to lean forward, elbows resting on the desk. "Very well," he spoke in a hushed tone. You leaned in too. Anyone looking into the classroom would assume you two were plotting a scheme, not learning of how you'd be asked to accompany Garreth Weasley to a ball.

"Rumor has it that if Friday's quidditch matchup between Gryffindor and Slytherin ends in his favor, Garreth plans to ask you to the ball afterwards."

Ominis leaned back again to indicate he had no more information to tell you. "And before you ask, my sources are confidential yet trustworthy."

You needed a moment to process what he told you. The good news was that you had two days until the quidditch match-up to prepare. The bad news is that now you knew you only had two days and still couldn't figure out how to stop the inevitable.

Unless Slytherin won. Gryffindor was the projected winner, but you knew Imelda, Sebastian, and the team had been practicing non-stop in preparation for the match. It would be difficult... but not impossible.