Chapter 4

The group were in the library looking through Alan Wayne's files. Duela was riding a scooter around while Harper and Lilith were sitting the chairs at one of the tables. Turner was standing, looking at the papers in front of him.

Cullen came in with a cake and set it down. "Liberated this from the teachers' lounge." The teens looked at it. "Congratulations Cathy." Turner said reading the cake.

Cullen sighed. "Yeah, I'm sorry. I couldn't find one that said: good luck trying to solve Bruce Wayne's murder by investigating the alleged killing of his great-great-grandfather. Slice anyone? Slice? No, alright." Cullen said and grabbed the knife of the table and started cutting a piece.

Harper looked at him. "Uh, you do realize the Talon almost killed you with that thing, right?" Harper said. Cullen looked at her. "Yeah, now I'm repurposing it for good, so..." Harper muttered an okay.

"I've been through this hundreds year old police report a thousand times and there's nothing in here that even remotely suggests Alan Wanye could've been murdered. All it does is confirm what the newspapers already reported. 'The renowned architect died by accidental drowning upon falling into a sewer following a sudden bout of dementia.'" Turner explained.

"Beep beep! Coming through." Duela said as she passed them by.

"You find anything interesting?" Turner asked Harper. "Maybe. Maybe it's nothing. See those marks on Alan Wayne's body? It's weird right?" She said as he sat down next to her.

"Yeah, they mentioned those cuts in the report but they said it had nothing to do with the cause of death." Turner said.

Cullen looked over their shoulders. "Yeah, I'm not a medical examiner but I'm pretty sure falling down a sewer doesn't cause marks like that."

Turner looked at him. "But these marks don't prove anything and if Alan Wayne's death was an accident, it means he wasn't killed by the Court of Owls. Which means this can't help us solve my dads murder or clear our names, so this is all a dead end."

Harper looked at him. "You seem tired." Harper said and he looked at her and raised his eyebrows. "I am tired. I'm tired of living in a stupid belfry. I'm tired of showering in a dirty locker room. I'm tired of worrying bout whether I'm gonna end up dead or in prison. And I'm tired of losing everybody that ever game a damn about me."

"And I'm tired of your constant bitching." Duela said rolling passed. "Duela!" Lilith shouted out at the girl. "I just want to go home. I want my life back." He said.

"I found something." Duela said walking over to them with a book in hand. "Hold on to your asses, guys because this is going to change the game. Yes, ladies and gentlemen. Bat brat was a member of the never get laid brigade." Duela jokingly said putting the book down and they all busted out laughing.

Lilith walked over and leaned over Turner to see. She leaned to whisper in his ear. He leaned into her face as she spoke. "They might be having a laugh but I think it's sexy."

"No, no, let me see that." Cullen said picking up the book, knocked the cake and the knife fell on the floor.

Lilith crouched down to grab it. She took it out of the floor, she looked up to see Turners face close to hers. She handed it to him, brushing their fingers against each others. His eyes fell from her eyes, to her lips, to his hand, to the floor.

"Guys." He said and everyone looked over at the marking in the floor.

The next day the group plus Steph and Carrie were there. They made a plan for Cullen to go to GCPD.

Lilith got up from her chair and went over by Stephanie. "Can I talk to you for a sec?" She asked and the girl nodded and Lilith led them upstairs.

One they got upstairs Lilith turned to the girl. "How's Brody doing?" She asked. Stephanie looked surprised that she wanted to talk about Brody.