AVE MARIA

I was in an empty building. It was filled with nothing, abandoned. A silent skyscraper. 

No one's here. The walls have graffiti, there's trash on the ground. Remnants of a fire are forever burnt on the ground. Tiny plants are growing out of the cracks in the cement. The rooms of the building look unfinished. Graffiti was everywhere. There's no doors. The walls are crumbling in some places. It's facing another skyscraper, with a few windows still remaining. I watched my reflection change from each window as I walked. You don't know what's stable and what's not, so it's scary to step into a room and almost fall through to the ground far below. I caught myself before that happened, luckily. I looked over the edge I was standing on to see exactly how high up I was. My eyes crawled up from the bottom of the building to the vines and colorful flowers creeping from the overgrown-ness below. I saw on the wall across from me something spray- painted in a huge black medieval-font: "AVE MARIA"

Eerie. I kept walking, then another "AVE MARIA" in bubbly colorful letters sprayed among the other graffiti. I strode on. Another Ave, then another, and another. It's probably just a gang name. But there was the name again, cut into the wall. Then it was burned on the ground. What's up with this place? Who's Ave Maria?

I said the name aloud, to hear my voice break the silence. As soon as I said it, as if I had summoned it, a voice sang out of nowhere, "AAAAVEEEE MARIIIIAAAA! Ave Mariaaaa-ooohh!"

I almost fell over the edge.

"WHO'S THERE?!" I listened for a reply, my heart beating like a drum, ba ba dum ba ba dum...merging into my footsteps as I ran to peek over the corner it came from.

"WHO ARE YOU?!" They asked me back.

"SHOW YOURSELF!!" I shouted. My voice shaking.

"NO YOU."

Ah, I got it now. There must be some kid running around here trying to scare me. No you?

I shouted, in a much less terrified voice,"WHO ARE YOU?"

"I ASKED YOU FIRST."

My head slightly shook. I was waiting for them to come out. Then the voice spawned right next to my ear.

"I'll ask again: 𝘞𝘏𝘖. 𝘈𝘙𝘌. 𝘠𝘖𝘜."

I jerked my head to face them.

There was no one there.