Mornings

Artemisia was woken up to her mother opening up the shutters in her room to let the light in. "Rise and shine girly!" She said looking down at her daughter with hands on her hips. Artemisia pushed herself onto her feet with a groan and wrapped her blankets around herself; her mother clicked her tongue disapprovingly. "Hot again? you know we have thinner blankets for the summer Artemisia," she said pinching her daughters cheek. Artemisia hissed and gently batted her mothers hand away. "I know that! but the warmer blankets are so heavy and they feel so nice, and then some nights are colder than others and its just." she gestured to the sleep matt she had made the night before and her mother sighed. "You are definitely your fathers child, get in the baths then. Your father will want you working the kiln today and working with your magic too." This caused Artemisia to pause and consider her mother. "What about last time? we barely made ends meet because I caused the kiln to heat up too fast." she said mildly incredulous and her mother looked at her with a mingled look of pride and amusement. "yes you did but we trust you have learned from your mistakes?" she gave her daughter a pointed look and Artemisia nodded looking away. "Then you will be fine, plus we did make extra pottery incase you were to make the same mistake. And one of our friends was generous enough to share his business so we could get some money stored away so we can make ends meet. So you do not have to worry about us my sweet girl." She kissed her daughter on the cheek and walked out of her rooms to prepare the household for the day. The servant girls had had to be laid off for the past two months, but a few of them came to make sure the family was well cared for in between shifts. The ones who couldn't had good reason too as the jobs they had taken were farther away, but they would return soon with their families. The dupree had a large and lavish home in the capital due to their business and their ability to create any form of pottery quickly. As well as having a lavish garden from which Lilly draws the oils of the flowers to make perfumes and scented oils. and the paintings Lilly and Orazio both knew how to use their magic to strengthen the other and it made them profitable. Her daughters fire magic (inherited from Orazios side) was also capable of being beneficial but it was also harder for her daughter to control. Thankfully Orazio did have experience mentoring fire mages and Artemisias admiration and love for her family made her willing to be taught. Lilly loved her as much as her father did, but she was also aware of the differences which she and her daughter faced. Still she did her best not to smother the girl and she was proud of the woman she saw her daughter becoming.
But something in her gut told her that it was all about to come crashing down, and she would be unable to do anything but prepare her family as best she could.

Artemisia was ready 30 minutes later and sitting in the dining hall stuffing her mouth with food. She had already checked to see when her father would be ready and he told her to go eat breakfast. as she shoved honeyed bread into her mouth (her mother wasn't there to scold her for her improper eating habits).  and sketched in her journal with her other hand her flames hummed, absentmindedly she toyed with the flames on the torches. Changing their colors making them taller, cooling their temperatures and causing a miniature explosion that startled any servant passing by. (Ensuring also that whatever they carried didn't fall or they regained their balance.) She wiped her face and took a drink of water from a cup before standing up and pocketing her journal into a pouch at her hip on a belt. She headed into the courtyard where the kiln and forges were, and warmth welcomed her. She inhaled deeply as cool morning air mingled with warmth from the forge.

her father stretched as he stood straight from putting the covering on the kiln and saw his daughter standing there. She looked at him and silently pointed to the flue of the kiln, he nodded. Silently she sat and began organizing the wood by width and length. Her magic slowly warming the air in the flue. It was going to be slow, patient work and last time they allowed her to attempt this she blew up the entire kiln. And they had been low on supplies due to the winter being strangely brutal for a southern region. The constant snows and low temps made it harder to get the paints, carving woods and oils for their works. Not to mention the droughts that affected the cost of grains which affected everyone. Fortunately though, Lord Glenmore, who had been a commissioner in the past for both of them and still had much respect for the family (as well as a few pieces). Offered to help them by giving them supplies and urging his friends to grant the artisanal family commissions that they could achieve with restricted access. Scorch marks are the only thing that remained on the walls. Artemisia had them stay due to wanting to remember what happened, both Orazio and Lillys bloodlines had powerful magic. Orazios own family scoffed at him being a potter, but Orazio was a craftsman. He
enjoyed working with his hands and Lilly enjoyed having her own garden. And they honed the ways which their powers could affect their arts. And when he held his daughter in his hands and felt that kernal of fire magic within her. He knew he would have to ensure she knew the costs of her losing control. The kiln was one test, she handled the accountability well and helped to fix the issue in any way she could. Her ability to take the situation seriously and maturely when she was only 16 was a welcome surprise. (Given how both Orazio and Lilly had been a bit more irresponsible in their youth.) As she worked to slowly heat the flue and fire the pottery Orazio went to check on Lilly in the shop. She had already opened the door and shutters and was busy sleeping the floor, paintings hung on one wall, bathed in the light of the sun from outside.  The glazed pottery of his making sat on shelves and tables to be browsed at leisure. A robed figure ducked in, hood hiding his face. And yet Orazio knew him from the star pendant dangling on a chain from his next. "Gwydion!" Orazio exclaimed in pleasant surprise. He walked over and clapped the professor on the shoulder. "Orazio!" Gwydion said, his voice dripping warmth. "I have returned from the Carragorn ruins and have set the travel runes there. I have need of someone who's abilities can act as a light source if she's available? we've found something we think is of import" he finished and dropped a small bag of coins onto the table. Orazio looked through the purse and saw gold, he looked at Lilly who looked back with concern. "You never pay gold for her services Gwydion ... are the Carragorn dangerous then?"