NIGHT

Artemisia found her parents in their respective art studios. Her mothers was above ground with a large arched window that overlooked the garden. Against opposite walls were her supplies. On the right were her pigments and paints, organized neatly by hues. Her easel was angled to catch the sunlight.  And there was a table pushed against the wall a mortar and pestle, brushes, a palette arranged neatly on its surface.  On the other side, bunches of dried flowers hung from a shelf holding empty and clean glass jars. A larger worktable held a copper distiller, a jug of water and a bundle of roses which her mother was carefully picking the petals off of to put in the distiller. Artemisia softly creeped up on her mother and grabbed her shoulders. Her mother jumped and turned a thorn scratching her hand, causing blood to well up. "sorry" Artemisia apologized, and her mother sighed the cut healing on her finger. 

"I see you're back, have you given Gwydion your answer?" she asked simply, and Artemisia felt her gut twist. "Well . . . I was wanting to talk to both you and father about it if you wouldn't mind." She lowered her head as her mother glowered and nodded. "Very well, ill be in the library then, Go get your father." She turned back to the table and started to finish her current task of picking the petals off the roses. 

Artemisia ran down the hall and down the steps to her father's work room. Their house was built over a massive clay deposit her father had found in the city. And he wasted no time in purchasing the property and built his house over it. Then he married Lilly and Artemisia came soon after. Her father preferred the dark cavern he had made at the end of the day. And his connection to the earth allowed him to traverse through the tunnels without light. A skill Artemisia had not yet mastered. She held out her hand and a small ball of blue fire floated over her palm, emitting a bright light. The light showed the jagged walls and ceiling of the cave where her father drew out every molecule of clay from the deposit. The floors, on the other hand, were smooth save for the carving which snaked along the floor, twisting and tangling into each other. She followed the carving to her father's shop. Sending out a little pulse of fire to warn him of her coming (he always focused heavily on his work and startled easier and with more of a reaction than her mother). 

The tunnel spiraled into the center of the household. Mock corridors that lead into dead ends (to keep thieves from finding the workshop) branching off. She found Orazio at his pottery wheel, his hands hovering over the clay as it took shape. Dozens of finished pots, sculptures, cups, etc stood drying on the shelves. "Glad your back child, did you give Gwydion an answer?" he asked his eyes never leaving the bowl he was now carving a design in. Artemisia sat on a stool next to him "well" she sighed "I technically told him yes, but I wanted to make sure you both were ok with it." Orazio nodded and the wheel slowly stopped turning. He stood and motioned for her daughter to go on to the library where they met Lilly, who sat in her reading chair in front of the fire. 

Artemisia sat to the right of the hearth and Orazio took his chair to the left, taking Lilly's hand into his own. "So?" Lilly pressed, looking at her daughter with pressed lips. Artemisia subconsciously started playing with changing the colors of the fire in the hearth. "Athena has suggested I come in as a fighting mage to stand against the wraiths around the ruins of the seraphim temple in Callagor." she paused, waiting until Lilly gave a nod in understanding. "Wraiths are especially vulnerable to fire which is why their suggesting I come as a fighter instead of a mere light. ... and I already said yes but Gwydion said I could back out if needed. I told him I would talk to you about it before giving him a set answer." she waited again and watched her parent's reaction. Lilly looked as if she was going to faint and Orazio was looking at his wife with concern. 

"Wraiths are immune to fire but they are quick, can vanish, and their bite can infect you with wasting illness do you understand this?" Lilly said quietly and Artemisia nodded. "But if I don't go, the chances of Gwydion and the others dying rises exponentially." she argued. Lilly looked at Orazio pleading, and he lifted up his hand. "I do not know what you wish for me to say, yes they will probably be able to create their own explosions given that they have the supplies. But that supply is finite Lilly. -" "So is her magic!" Lilly interrupted, her voice calm. "What if there's too many? The potential for burning out is tremendous!" she turned to her daughter. "I want you to know I do think you are capable but as your mother. I am frightened of this, wraiths are nasty, violent and if you get injured ... even a mere scratch can be fatal. I cannot stop you if you wish to go, but please promise me you will be careful." Lilly clasped her hands in front of her, eyes pleading with her daughter to promise. 

Artemisia considered then took a deep breath. "Alright, I promise I will do whatever I can to be careful." 

Orazio nodded and Lilly gripped his hands nervously. They nodded agreement and stood to leave. Artemisia was alone in the library, the fire crackling in the fireplace. She watched the fire for a few minutes before snuffing it out, plummeting her and the room in darkness.