12: the plan

You take Vance home with you, go to your room, and shut your door. All you want to do is lay with him. Talking to your family and doing your homework all seem like insurmountable tasks right now.

He lays beside you, forehead pressed against yours. You wonder if you really just can't feel how cold he is anymore or if he's gotten warmer. There's a splash of color in his clothing now, too, and back when you met him you could've sworn he was decked out in nothing but gray.

Vance interrupts your line of thought. "Are you happy?" he asks.

"What do you mean?"

"That you met me. Are you happy that you met me?"

"Of course I am," you say, brushing a curly lock of hair behind his ears.

He smiles at you. "Good. I thought I might've just made everything more difficult for you," he says, hesitating a little, "You've been crying a lot lately."

He wasn't wrong. You have been crying, sometimes, and you've tried to keep most of it to yourself but he's noticed. It's hard to hide from a ghost. "I am so, so happy to have you, you have no idea," you say, "If I hadn't met you I'd still just be the new kid at school keeping my head down and trying to pass the time until I graduate. All the time we've had together has been amazing, I just...wish we could have a little more of it, that's all."

He sighs, "I know. Me too."

You try to keep Mr. Blake's words in mind. That it's okay to be sad but that you should be happy for Vance when he moves on.

You'll try to be.

"We'll just have to spend as much time as we can together now," he says, kissing you on the lips, "I mean, shit, I can't keep my hands off of you, anyway. If people could see me they'd think we were stuck together."

"I'm okay with that," you say.

"Good," he says, "Because I ain't planning on stopping any time soon, girl."

He nuzzles up against you, kissing your neck again. You close your eyes and let yourself enjoy it, pushing away any negative thoughts.

You've never met Finn's sister before, but kudos to her, he told her that The Grabber was back and she immediately packed her things and took a road trip from California. She was there by Monday after school. He kept you after class this morning and told you and Vance to wait in the classroom after school, and you did.

"It's been like half an hour," Vance says, sitting on top of one of the desks, "You think she got stuck in traffic or something? Maybe we should just bail. I wanna go home and watch some more movies with you."

But just as he says that, the door to the classroom opens, and in walks Finn and a woman you assume is Gwen Blake.

"So do you really know for sure that - holy fuck it's Vance Hopper," she says, stopping in her tracks and looking right at him.

"You can see me?" he says.

"You can see him?" you say, at the same time.

"I can see a lot of ghosts," she says, "But you, Jesus, I thought we lost you for good. Finney told me he spoke to you but seeing you is something else."

She doesn't bother to say that he hasn't changed a bit. Of course he hasn't, he was stuck the way he was when he died forever and ever.

"The good news is I'll be able to see him, too, so I'd know if his creepy ass was lurking in on any of our conversations. He thinks he's real fucking smart, but he couldn't help but taunt you. Now I'm onto what he's doing."