Ch.10: Patience Is A Virtue

Time Skip: 9 months later (July 2022)

Hayleigh has yet to step foot back in an AEW ring since what happened at Full Gear for Darby's match against MJF. Hayleigh felt she still wasn't in any shape mentally to return. Darby still tours and performs at shows while Hayleigh stays at home or with her father Sting. During this time, Hayleigh became really close with Jamie Hayter, and the two started to form a pretty strong friendship. During the time Hayleigh stays away from AEW, she finds out through Renee that Moxley has checked himself into rehab since early November because he started drinking heavily, especially after Hayleigh's last suicide attempt. Hayleigh feels guilty for this. Feeling deep down, Jon wouldn't have started drinking as bad if she hadn't taken that attempt on her own life. Hayleigh eventually wants to come back to AEW with Darby but doesn't want to until she feels she is 100% better. Darby is doing everything he can in the meantime to help her. Even putting their wedding on pause, something they've both been wanting to do for so long.

Hayleigh's POV-

I stood outside on our back porch, leaning against the wooden guard rail as I looked forward. It was probably one or two in the morning and it was slightly cold due to it raining the night before. It was another one of those days when I was struggling to sleep. I carefully snuck out of bed and came out here hoping to clear my head, but unfortunately, it was doing the opposite. As I gazed out into the yard, all I could think about was how I caused Jon's drinking problem to worsen to the point he had to go into rehab. I hurt more people because I wanted to take myself out. I really hadn't taken into account that if I had taken my own life, it would hurt more people besides just Darby and my father. As fucked as that sounds... If there was a way I could've done it without hurting anyone, I would've done it.

Again, I know still thinking like this was still fucked, but I couldn't fully get rid of those thoughts. Even with talking to a therapist over these last few months. It only felt like it barely helped. The best way I could describe it was; that it felt like slapping a band-aid over a gash that clearly needed stitches. Sure, it's better than nothing...but it still wasn't fully fixing the problem.

"Hey, sweetheart." Darby walked out through the door, shutting it softly behind him. He walked over to the guardrail and hugged me from behind, pressing his face into my shoulder. "You okay?"

I jolted slightly at his sudden touch, not hearing him come outside, but quickly calmed down a bit in his embrace.

"God," I sighed softly, gently placing my hands over his as he held me. "You scared the hell outta me," I whispered. "But... I'm fine..."

"You sure? Because you don't look fine." He asked quietly, resting a hand on my stomach to pull me slightly closer against him. He sighed and kissed my hair. "I don't want you staying up like this, okay? You need to sleep."

"I know..." I whispered. "But I just can't sleep..." I only half lied as my gaze returned to the scenery of woods around the backyard.

"Then I'm gonna stay with you until you do, okay?" The fear in his voice was noticeable, and he wasn't able to hide it. "We both know you have trouble sleeping at times." His arms wrapped tighter around me. "So, no, you don't get to sit out here alone while you struggle. Besides, there might be monsters in the woods."

"Monsters in the woods?" I repeated with a small grin, finding the comment a bit humorous. "Darby, what am I? Six?" I turned my head to glance at him.

He chuckled quietly and rolled his eyes at my comment. "Just let me keep you safe, please?" He squeezed me tighter, making me blush a little in the process. "And I was half joking."