Chapter Nine: Connecting the Dots

Eliza yawns as she sits in the lobby of the Cancer wing at the hospital. 5:00 a.m. was too early for Isaac to be awake, since he has been so tired lately, but it didn't make sense to leave him at home when he had to be there for the program, anyway. Thankfully he only had another week of it left, then he could go see his grandparents, that is, if they agreed to watch him. She had forgotten to ask Arthur about that.

Isaac rests his head in his mothers lap and she takes a sip of her coffee. The receptionist looks over at Eliza to see if Mr. Morgan has shown up. He hasn't, but Eliza was normally the late one.

Just then, the door swings open, and Arthur comes in with his own cup of coffee. He sees Eliza and walks over to her. The receptionist notices and then goes to contact the doctor.

"G'morning," Arthur greets.

"Hey..." Eliza yawns again and looks down at their sleeping son. Arthur squats down in front of her and rubs his son's back.

"Hey, buddy," he coaxes. "It's time to get up."

Isaac stirs for a moment, and while his head is remaining on Eliza's lap, he opens his eyes.

"Daddy...!" He slowly comes up and reaches to hug his father. Arthur wraps his arms around him and kisses the top of his head.

"How have you been feeling, partner?"

"I'm tired."

Arthur sighs and smiles empathetically at his son. "I know. It is early."

The receptionist enters the lobby.

"Mr. Morgan? Ms. Bloom? Dr. Dorkins is ready to see you now."

Arthur rises to his feet and steps back as Eliza gets out of her seat. Isaac stretches and slowly stands. Eliza supports him with one arm.

"Let's go, honey," she coaxes. Isaac comes to her left side and takes her hand, then as Arthur walks beside them, Isaac takes his hand. Arthur looks at Eliza and she glances bashfully away. The receptionist beams at them, unaware of the situation between them.

They follow the receptionist to Dr. Dorkins' office, though they already knew the way.

The receptionist opens the office door and she steps aside to let the family enter. Dr. Dorkins greets them with a smile.

"Good morning, Mr. Morgan, Ms. Bloom."

"Good morning," Arthur responds.

Dr. Dorkins looks at Isaac and beams.

"Good morning, Dr. D," Isaac says, sheepishly.

"And a good morning to you, Isaac! How're you feeling today?"

"Tired. Are you going to take my blood?"

"No, not today, buddy. We're just going to make sure you get your treatments prescribed today."

"Isaac nods. Dr. Dorkings gestures toward the chairs in front of him.

"Please, have a seat."

Arthur and Eliza go to the chairs and each take a seat. Instead of sitting in the third chair, ISaac goes to sit in Eliza's lap. He leans back into her and tucks his head in the crook of her neck.

"So," Dr. Dorkins begins. "Today we're signing some paperwork to authorize the implementation of this new treatment. But before you sign, do either of you have any questions?"

"Why didn't the chemo work?" Arthur immediately asks. Eliza can detect the intensity of his voice, but Dr. Dorkings doesn't seem to pick up on it.

"To put it simply, his body wasn't responding to the chemotherapy in a positive way. Yes, it did help shrink the tumor to where we could safely remove it, but it didn't prevent it from returning, which is what unfortunately happened. Isaac was improving because the tumor was removed. Had we not caught the tumor's return, his symptoms would have told us. However, by then, it would have been too late."