|Chapter Eleven|

It's three days before I can go home. I haven't seen Noah once in the last three days. He's not in the Gray and he's not in my room. He's no where, and I can't sense him as a presence in my life. Maybe because I was safe in the hospital he had no reason to hang around.

I took Phil off my emergency contacts. I deleted his number, and even though I know it by heart I wasn't going to use it. He wouldn't be waiting on my steps when I pulled up in another cab.

He couldn't hurt me again, even if I had to hurt him to make sure that didn't happen again.

"Morning sunshine, you ready to go home?" For once hurricane Allison isn't a hurricane. She's soft, and quiet.

"What are you doing here?" I ask adjusting myself in the hospital bed.

"I thought you might need a ride home," Allison has stopped by to check on me every day that I've been in the hospital and I was grateful for the distraction she provided. I told her that I put my foot down with Phil, that he wouldn't be back. As much as she didn't like Phil, she didn't gloat when I told her. Instead she held my hand while I showed a rare bout of vulnerability.

"Oh, you didn't have to do that," she waves me off as she moves around the room and collects the things she brought for me. My kindle and some toiletries.

"Nonsense," she replies and zips up the bag. I've already changed into my comfortable clothes and out of the itchy hospital gown. She comes over to the bed and helps me up. My abdomen is still sore where I was impaled with a windshield. The second time I've cheated death.

Allison drives me home, indie music plays quietly in her car on the short ride over. It's hot out, but the air in her car is full blast. She parks on the curb and I get out. She instructs me to wait for her to park, and I do. I have to support my bulky cast with my other hand. I didn't think I needed the cast, Noah had almost confirmed as much.

It takes her ten minutes to find a spot and return, and I'm sweating again by the time we head inside. She carries my hospital bag up to my unit while I follow beside her. She unlocks my door and sets the bag on my couch. She sits it right next to Noah, who I know she can't see. Who I have to physically stop myself from screaming over. I had almost completely forgotten about him.

Almost.

"I know you won't call me if you need anything, so I'm going to drop in after work," she says pointedly. "Your work laptop is on the kitchen table, because I know you won't take the time to heal that you need."

"Katie is going to fire me if I don't stay out of the hospital," I groan, I had worked so hard to get the promotion. And here I was, second hospital stay in a months time.

"I think it would be a lawsuit if she fired you over getting hit by a car," Allison rolls her eyes, "like she would do that, she loves you."

I glance at Noah watching us talk and Allison follows my line of vision. She can't see him, I know she can't, so I shuffle her to the door. "Thank you for taking me home."

"No problem, see you tomorrow," she smiles warmly and closes the door behind her.

I turn to Noah, he has a pensive look on his face. He's the most serious I've seen him, and he's already had to have an absurd talk with me. My fucking guardian, that let me get hit by a car. Even if he did try to stop it. I have to look away from him, I remembered bits from the time I was in surgery, and I didn't want to be near him now.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" I ask, I don't bother hiding the bite in my tone.

"We need to talk," he says instead of playing into my attitude. I can't look at his beautiful face, so I focus instead on the way his hands drape over his knees. His large, tattooed hands.