1

Snippet from Taehyung's Diary

77th Attempt and I Don't Want to Fail This Time

Hey,
I am Taehyung. I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶b̶o̶r̶n̶ ̶-̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶

Hi again,
I wanted to write this, because she writes a diary too. And ... she writes alot about me...

Its all started 7 years ago, when I saw her for the first time. It was a dark, silent night, when I was with my men on our mission to finish off our rivals. Yes, I'm the mafia king of this country. I usually don't step out for any uproar. But that night, seven years ago, was different. I wanted to witness the downfall of them. After all, they killed my only family - a sister who saw the human in me.

It was then I shot a few of the men when I heard a girl screaming. I looked in the direction of the scream, and a smirk formed on my face - another kill, I thought to myself (dumb and dumber me). But before I could shoot her, she fainted, perhaps from seeing the pool of blood and dead bodies?

As we finished everything, I ordered my men to take the girl to our solitary cell. I wanted to kill her with my own hands; somehow, the thirst for revenge in me was still there.

I still remember vividly, it was after two days when I went to the solitary cell, ready to end that girl's life. She was lying on the cold floor, almost buried all over. My men must have taken care of her behind my back. I was pleased to see her in that state. After all, she had seen something she shouldn't have. I pulled out my gun and placed it against her head. She was dizzy, and   ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶y̶e̶s̶—, her brown hooded eyes, filled with glimmer of something deeper, something that intrigued me now, were half-open. Eyes that are swollen, puffy and ringed with red indicate recent emotional distress.

I demanded her to speak about what she saw, and she just shook her head. "I told you all a hundred times, I don't know anything you're talking about. If you want to kill me, kill me right now. Why are you all making me suffer like this?" she almost screamed. Her defiance stirred my anger, as no human had ever dared to speak to me like that before. I couldn't bear anyone challenging my authority. I grabbed her chin, forcing her to look me in the eye, and said, "Speak, and I'll kill you as you want."

And there she started sobbing, my grip might have hurt her. Despite her sobs, she managed to speak again, "I don't know what you're talking about. I just lost my parents in the accident, and when I woke up, I was here."

Her words only fueled my anger, and I growled as I jerked her face away from my hand. "I hate lies, poor girl. Tell me the truth, or I won't spare you. You will be begging for death, but you will not get that."

She remained silent, refusing to say anything more. Frustrated, I asked my men to tie her up in chains, and they did so reluctantly.

I pulled out an iron rod, intending to use it to make her speak, but something happened when I looked into her eyes again. There was an innocence and vulnerability in those eyes that tugged at my conscience. I laughed mockingly and said, "Your puppy eyes won't do anything. I'll give you one last chance. Remember it until night, for I will come back."

Yet, when night fell, I found myself standing outside her cell once more, my heart in conflict with my mind. The human inside me was slowly dying.

I entered, and she was still hanging in chains. I refused to feel any sympathy for her, no matter how much my heart clenched. I went near her, blood dripping from her head; someone must have hit her. I asked her coldly, "Do you want a merciless life or a merciful death?" I didn't want to do that..